Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I do quite a bit of ghillie work up here on lochs. I am not a fan of punters turning up under gunned.
    In general, a "good wave" (ie, a gale) is required to get the best of the grilse fishing, and the ability to fire a line across the waves can be very advantageous. You cannot do that with a 4 or 5 weight, and a 6 struggles. (It can maybe be done with half a dozen swishes, but I like to see a line up and off in one go).

Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    I do quite a bit of ghillie work up here on lochs. I am not a fan of punters turning up under gunned.
    In general, a "good wave" (ie, a gale) is required to get the best of the grilse fishing, and the ability to fire a line across the waves can be very advantageous. You cannot do that with a 4 or 5 weight, and a 6 struggles. (It can maybe be done with half a dozen swishes, but I like to see a line up and off in one go).
    Correct and right, but not always. An 8wt is a joy if you have the right one - a Sage 10 8wt RPL III - the Green one - with a Kelly Green intermediate line does it for me on a windy day chasing silvery lads. However, that's far too heavy for a calm day on the lake, especially with dries. Sorry, no simple answer. Loomis GLX Distance 10-foot also very good if you can find one. And ....wasn't there an article in T&S not so long ago saying that top 'o the water fishing was a thing of the past? If the truth be told stealth and boat skill far more important than rod length.

All very true guys but the OP was talking trout not salmon. My experience of fishing both Beltra and Carrowmore for salmon was to fish as light as was possible, this was usually a wt7 in a good blow. When both Loughs sported a good head of spring salmon the dibbled long tailed Bibio was the go to fly and accounted for many a fish.

I do quite a bit if fishing in front of a drifting boat. I also fish for wild brownies on mountain lakes from steep banks, but in the same style.
    Since i broke my 10'6" sue burgess diamondback I too have struggled to find an acceptable replacement. I've been fishing a 10' #6 grays for a number of years but its not quite the same. Prefer a more through action than most of what is on the market. I find I miss quite a few that come to the bob on today's faster action rods especially when fishing for wild browns. Either that or my memory is messing with me.

My regular boat partner fishes a 11' #5 hardy drifter. Thats a nice rod.

Back in day I used to fish a 12' single hander. Not sure I'd cope now. A #4 on that and you could work the bob fly for miles.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123