Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I used to use a normal proffessional 11ft 6/7 they were brilliant, haven't been made for a long time but I bet there's a few in someone's attic. I bought a load of their blanks from the warehouse and made them up for a few of my mates.

I've been using a 10ft 5/6 Airflo Streamtec Nano on Corrib for 5 or 6 years now and find it suits me fine. I use a Greys Streamflex 10ft #5 for dry fly work and that works fine as well

Thanks for the replies guys. There does seem to be a dearth of “modern” loch style rods on the market. Lewis.. not really wanting to build from scratch. I look after my tackle but no matter how careful, boat fishing is full clanks and dinks so a reasonably priced rod seems more sensible. ibm59. Thanks but looking for a single hander. Did consider the Shakey Westcountry but looking to spend a bit more if justified. Get the point about weilding an 11 footer all day. When you’ve had an hour or two with the slt dry fly set up it’s scary to pick up the wet set up again when conditions change 😄. Will have a trip to the angling centre tomorrow and see If I can find something suitable. Thanks again.

A good option would be to speak to a rod builder such as the excellent Stan Massey at Alba Rods or Chas Burns in York. Both deal with Harrisons and other blanks manufacturers

Daiwa 11-3 5/7,cracking loch rod,

I use a Daiwa Lochmore Z 11ft 3" #7 (trout rated) for Lough fishing for salmon WITH an extension handle making it a quasi switch rod . Also used on the Thurso during low water conditions BUT the original poster is, I guess, talking trout. Accordingly I would suggest sourcing a 10ft #6 rod from one of the many providers which would cover your requirements with the right leader setup.
    Modern #6 rods will handle a wt 5 and a wt 7 if conditions so dictate but I guess Corrib fishing is in front of the boat short lining rather than typical ressie fishing casting to the horizon pulling a team of blobs on a di7. It's all a question of budget.

Edit : Have a look at these Greys GR60 Single Handed Fly Rod | Greys GR60 Rods | Sportfish
    Last edited by tenet; 05-01-2020 at 12:33 PM.

I have an old school 10ft daiwa boron in good nick
    It's a 6/7 but will also take an 8 weight.
    It's a 2piece so not one of the favourites now but is fitted with a fighting butt and is an ideal loch style rod.
    Pm for further information.

When I did my last ‘over the front ‘ Loch style fishing , I’d moved down to #4&5 lines.
    Much easier on the wrist , and the trout seemed to appreciate the lighter approach too.

Should stress that I’m talking about nothing faster sinking than a slow inty.

George Barron’s , and grumpy old Stan’s , recent books are rekindling an interest for me.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    When I did my last ‘over the front ‘ Loch style fishing , I’d moved down to #4&5 lines.
    Much easier on the wrist , and the trout seemed to appreciate the lighter approach too.

Should stress that I’m talking about nothing faster sinking than a slow inty.

George Barron’s , and grumpy old Stan’s , recent books are rekindling an interest for me.
    Might be slightly undergunned on massive loughs like Corrib and Conn B. Whole heartedly agree for smaller waters - Martin Cottis, professional guide on Chew Valley at 1200 acres, is a strong advocate of wt 4 lines for top of the water sport . All this talk of trout and with Farmoor giving up some good fish at the moment may see me afloat on Wednesday if forecast holds up. Doubt if my 5wt Loop Cross will see much action more likely my 7wt LORHIC and di7 lines with a daphnia emerger tied booby snake style 😉
    Last edited by tenet; 05-01-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    Might be slightly undergunned on massive loughs like Corrib and Conn
    I really don’t think so , Doug.
    I did a lot of seatrout / salmon from drifting boats in the 80s and 90s on lochs such as Eck and Lomond.
    Started off on 7s, but was down to 5s very quickly.
    There’s no issue with casting flees up to and including an 8 double down and across the wind on a #5 line.

I also very quickly realised that a full floater was a recipe for many abortive rises / takes especially with salmon.

Please stop replying.
    ‘I may just have to go out and do it all over again.
    Last edited by ibm59; 05-01-2020 at 09:09 PM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast