Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    By a true 9/10 do you mean the old classic U.K. rating, or do you mean the current heavier US interpretation of the rating? .
    The classic UK rating , Tyke.

The reasoning behind the long rod is to avoid the incessant stripping with short rods and heads.
    Amongst other age related issues , I have neck and shoulder problems which I would prefer not to aggravate when fishing larger rivers.

I no longer have any 15’ rods , and my auld Altmor 16’ is heavy and is , even more inconveniently , a 3 piece.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

You are sure, a 15‘ rod wouldn’t be enough? I think of weight in hands and swing weight. That’s why many of us with age go down even from 15‘ rods...
    I still can fish them all day long, but after some trial and error in new rods, a lot of experimenting, I had to make my selection in 15’ rods. After all, I wouldn’t throw the benefit of a 3piece configuration in this rod length away all too fast. There is no rod length, weight and adaption of lines matters more, from a view of intense use, than in 15‘ and above.
    Although older in age, like some of us, but LPXe and LeCie for example are still the lightest competitors in hand. Depending on the model, they cast both well, short shooting heads and long lines. Also, undependable of a 9/10 or 10/11 rating, those older rods don’t need that much of weight to load them properly, compared to many of the newer rods. In this case, I wouldn’t be afraid of a 10/11 rating too much.
    Length of rod, rod weight and weight of line... also longer stroke lengths versus less stripping. What’s worse, depending of health issues of course.

Interestingly there seems to be a renaissance of longer rods and long belly lines in the U.S.
    A lot of Gaelforce and B&W, also CND rods, in 16‘ lengths are used there. But my impression is, a good number of them is influenced by casting competitions, the actives and their followers, more casting orientated than for health care or aging fishermen😁. Maybe a new hype is coming soon.
    But surely for a newer rod, all the named labels offer premium rods, pricewise and in quality.
    You could check it out in SpeyPages additionally.

Good luck !
    - Let´s be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

I don't own one, but the new Meiser X rods are extremely light. The Highlander Classic X and the MKX.
    I have cast the Highlander CX and was blown away by how light in hand they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    The classic UK rating , Tyke.

The reasoning behind the long rod is to avoid the incessant stripping with short rods and heads.
    Amongst other age related issues , I have neck and shoulder problems which I would prefer not to aggravate when fishing larger rivers.

I no longer have any 15’ rods , and my auld Altmor 16’ is heavy and is , even more inconveniently , a 3 piece.
    That put the Kibosh on my 16ft Sage 3 piece gfl gathering dust in the attic 😐

My Norway is the 3 piece version also - but I prefer that as it's one less joint to tape & I feel it has to be a little bit stronger simply as the diameter of the top joint is greater than on a 4 piece rod.

That said, a couple of my pals fish with the 4 piece 14 foot versions & they are excellant rods; I just don't see the need to swap my 3 piece ones out as I don't travel by air when I fish in the UK & there's plenty of room in the car for 3 piece rod tubes. Some of my more recent purchases are 4 piece, but that was the only specification on offer; I certainly don't feel at a disadvantage as a result, but I don't feel that I have gained any benefit either.

The 16 ft 9/10 is more of a 10/11 with UK spec Speylines as the 9/10 rating was for DT lines where you were carrying more of it in the air during the cast. Seriously though, if the heads are only around 60 feet then a 15 or even a 14 footer will handle them quite easily, & the 15 ft 7/9 powerlite is really an 8/9; this is a lovely rod & because of the lighter rod & loading from the line during the cast isn't tiring to fish with for a full day & will avoid the additional stripping back you get with shooting heads.

Regards, Tyke.

Not having owned or cast a 16ft 9/10, I suspect that Gaelforce is about as good as you could get, but at a pretty stiff price. Personally here’s what I would look at new:

B&W Walker 16ft 9/10. Supposedly pretty popular with the west coast (U.S.A) big river dry line fishermen. If my 13’6” #8 is anything to go by, this Walker will be a gem. I would Talk to B&W about a custom build with some weight in the butt and a different handle if necessary, although I think their handles are better on longer rods. I’d love to get my hands on one of these on a big river. Demo one through Fawcetts or direct with B&W. There’s a really nice review on Speypages somewhere. Not sure about the’9’ side of the rating, Otis a B&W after all😂.

Meiser Highlander CX 16’ “#8’. Again, if the bigger blanks are anything like my one (a 12’6” #7/8 CX), this will be an absolutely cracking rod. Light in hand, as stated above, with the flexibility to accommodate a wide range of casting styles. I’d import the blank and self build, or get a real craftsman like Bonito to do it. Bob Meiser will advise.

I would also say that having put a Gaelforce 63ft Spey line through 15ft B&W Powerlite Delux and a Hardy Zenith Sintrix rods I’m not sure I’d need 16ft. But I know that wasn’t the exam question.

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12