Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default rod action & line speed

Not sure I know what I'm talking about here but grateful for views before I "divert" more funds for another rod...

Most of my spring fishing is with a 15ft 10/11 BW Norway. I was thinking about replacing till I was introduced to the skagit last year and the Norway seems ideal for that - its a very robust, powerful rod and I think its slow-ish through action (is that even correct?) is very suited to the slow tempo required for skagit fishing and the thing just flies out -

but

yesterday, in lowish water, I thought the skagit a bit too splashy for the conditions and rigged up my new power taper int/s1 shooting head (rather than revert to my old Loop quatro). After a bit of trial and error, I found I could throw a reasonably elegant line as long as I kept thinking "keep it slow" and just gave the delivery a wee tap - but as soon as I tried to develop any line speed or use any power (as the other rods on the beat seemed to be doing), the loop opened right up and it all went to hell.

SO - does speed = distance (provided the timing and technique are correct)? Is my Norway's action on the slow side and therefore can't it cope with the speed I want to go at to get the distance I want? Or is it just poor technique on my part? Should a competent caster be able to cast the same distance with a Norway as an LPXE with a shooting head set-up?

As I say, grateful for views. I do like my Norway and have been bitten before about thinking that new gear will solve all my problems when its me that's the problem!!!

Dighty

Line speed = distance, in simple terms.

You can achieve high line speed from both fast and more through action rods. The reason your loops were opening as you looked for more speed is down to poor technique. Longer casts require good technique far more than just pure grunt.

I tried a 3pce Norway 9/10 with a Guideline 10/11 SC Hover/Inter head a month or so ago and it worked well enough and achieved good distance. If you have the 10/11 Norway your head may well be too light as the rod is a bit of a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Line speed = distance, in simple terms.

You can achieve high line speed from both fast and more through action rods. The reason your loops were opening as you looked for more speed is down to poor technique. Longer casts require good technique far more than just pure grunt.

I tried a 3pce Norway 9/10 with a Guideline 10/11 SC Hover/Inter head a month or so ago and it worked well enough and achieved good distance. If you have the 10/11 Norway your head may well be too light as the rod is a bit of a beast.
    OK - thanks Springer. It is as I suspected then - poor technique! The head I was using was an 11/12 (uncut), which I didn't feel was overloading the rod at all. I seemed to be getting a nice D-loop as well (more of a V-loop), but it just wouldn't transpose into a nice delivery unless I conciously held back the power going forward and used a very short forward stroke. Might just be the readjustment from using the skagit was throwing a spanner in the works...

Cheers,

Dighty