Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Guideline Rods and the Evil that are Skagit Lines!

Bet that made you look!.
    Any road, the only Guideline rod I fish a Skagit line and T tip on is my 13ft 7 9/10 Reaction(yup its fine with a 550 gin line and tip on!)
    But!,I'm sort of hankering for a new 14fter and was wondering what the new model LPXe is like and will it cope with Skagitery gubbins and the same with the NT8 rod.
    Might be blowing hot air, but the rod descriptions in the online catalogue seem to suggest they will!.
    Cheers,Pedro.

Im not convinced Pete that the new lpxe will like a skagit. Theyre(at least the 15' is) pretty stiff and geared far more towards shooting heads. I got a 15' delivered from Norris but when i gave it the wiggle test at home I didnt like it all...much stiffer than the previous models. Sent it back again.

Fished a Skagit on my Le Cie 15ft 10 along with 15ft of T14 and T17 with no problems as has my Dad on his LPX 15ft.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Used a 660grain skagit with 12ft T14 on my 14ft LPXE old 4 piece with no problems at all, don't know about the new one.
    Regards Steve

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing."

Why don't you consider a through action rod such as the Vision Cult?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Bet that made you look!.
    Any road, the only Guideline rod I fish a Skagit line and T tip on is my 13ft 7 9/10 Reaction(yup its fine with a 550 gin line and tip on!)
    But!,I'm sort of hankering for a new 14fter and was wondering what the new model LPXe is like and will it cope with Skagitery gubbins and the same with the NT8 rod.
    Might be blowing hot air, but the rod descriptions in the online catalogue seem to suggest they will!.
    Cheers,Pedro.
    just bought the new 15ftr Pete , i have no doubt it will cast a sgt like a rocket without breaking as long as you know what you are doing ,
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

and i have know idea what the wee wavy guys mean
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Never would I use a Skagit on a regular Basis on my LeCie and most of my LPXe rods.
    I tried and there are only few exceptions, for example the 13‘ LPXe in 3-piece and 4-piece (old series). They are loading that tiny bit deeper compared to the other rods in this series, also the LeCie 12‘6 in 7/8.
    But nevertheless they are still too fast in unloading and not in the categorie for specialized Skagit-use. I also would be afraid of destroying them as fragile as they are. I already made my experiences with Scandi heads, even with my tendency in going down as far as possible in weight.

Maybe the new LPXe series and maybe newer (?) materials take more „push“. Who knows.
    But from my impression of the new LPXe series, while test casting the 15‘, I have to say, it‘s definitely even stiffer and more tippy compared to the older 3-piece and 4-piece models.
    I couldn’t bring it to work with the heads I use on the older 15‘. Much stiffer in the middle part and in the butt.
    I couldn’t understand at all, how the new series could be described as “deeper loading“, „deeper kick“ and so on by GL. Must be a secret of Marketing...

I don’t know if this all helps, but can’t imagine the new 14‘ to be a different Temperament to the 13’9 or in any way a proper Skagit-rod !
    Although also not built for Skagit-all use the LXi would handle Skagit quite well compared to any LPXe.
    Also some others, that go the „one-for-all-rod“ route. There were already named some. Or look at Sage and Loomis. Their modern rods are also intended to do all ! And sometimes do nothing 100% ...
    Out of them, the last specialized series were done by Loomis with the last GLX, Stinger for Scandi, Dredger for Skagit.
    Each for its own and what it is constructed for. If in tendency to stay with GL, I would prefer any LXI for Skagit use instead of any LPXe.
    Cheers
    Roland

Sorry, wrong written. Of course: „ ...different temperament to the 15‘“...
    Cheers

I have a Guideline lxi 13'9" 9/10 6 piece and it has recommended lines weights marked on the butt section for Spey, Scandi and Skagit, therefore i assume it can handle a skagit no problem if Guideline are recommending it.

Cheers Diarmid.