Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sons birthday Loop cross s1 build

I've always fancied having a go at building my own rod so thought it was a great idea to build a rod for my sons 15th birthday as he started salmon fishing with me last season and loves it he also took to a 2 handed rod no problem. So I bought a Loop cross s1 blank first and then had to learn how to build it. Its my usual way of doing things jumping in with both feet and learning rapid on the way down I've never done anything like this before so it was a steep learning curve and ive got to say a huge thank you to Ross from RJ custom rods who I had the great fortune of inadvertently buying the blank from. Ross has basically held my hand through this build as well as supplied me with most of the bits.
    So I did my homework and built my own homemade lathe for turning the cork, a rod wrapper for whipping the guides on and a rod dryer. My pal who makes beautiful salmon flies wants to help me so he is practising with the metallic thread at the mo on the wrapper. I've had to tweek my bobbin holders so they now have wing nuts. I've made everything fairly cheaply, I made the dryer with a £7.50 motor from ebay with a plumbing fitting with 2 O rings for the chuck. I got the wheels for my support from screwfix £1.99 each, I got my lathe chuck for £17 from ebay and spent £10 getting a rod fitted to the back of it so it fitted in my drill chuck. Here is my progress so far.
    Sorry don't know why pics are on their side and jumbled up
    Attached Images Attached Images img_9569-jpg img_9438-jpg img_9568-jpg img_9533-jpg img_9529-jpg img_9528-jpg img_9527-jpg img_9526-jpg img_9512-jpg img_9506-jpg img_9490-jpg img_9489-jpg img_9468-jpg 
    Last edited by The flying Scotsman; 26-01-2020 at 08:46 PM.

9d059581-ed09-4b3e-b4ee-1ce745e79818-jpg99c01f4a-6723-49b0-bb03-effa2475d27b-1-jpg

Ross also modified a Hardy rod tube for him

I absolutely love this kind of thing!! Superb sir👍👍👍
    Proper DIY and a great gift for your son to treasure for many a year, I hope he gets plenty of fish with it too.
    Looking great so far and please keep us updated on the build.
    Nice one

Lovely work Gordon!

Not done a rod for a few years now but it is a very satisfying experience.

I'm sure your laddie will be delighted with that and what a personal gift to give

Look forward to catching you up the river soon,

Andy

'
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by Clydebuilt View Post
    I absolutely love this kind of thing!! Superb sir👍👍👍
    Proper DIY and a great gift for your son to treasure for many a year, I hope he gets plenty of fish with it too.
    Looking great so far and please keep us updated on the build.
    Nice one
    Thanks I will keep the thread up to date with our progress. Weíre going for purple blue and silver metallic thread.

What a gift, and one youíve enjoyed making. A fine job youíre doing and Iím sure heíll treasure the rod always. I still use the reels I got in my teens and your son may be the same with his rod.

Nice job!

P.S. I found the hardest thing to get right was the finishing epoxy on the wraps and name plate. It really pays to practice practice & practice. Less is more and if you can get as dust free as possible.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 26-01-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Lovely work Gordon!

Not done a rod for a few years now but it is a very satisfying experience.

I'm sure your laddie will be delighted with that and what a personal gift to give

Look forward to catching you up the river soon,

Andy

'
    Thanks Andy. I canít wait to get out. I hope to catch up with you on the westie soon hopefully with my young lad in tow. I believe lower down is good for springers.
    I thought it would be a present he would always keep. And Iíve really enjoyed building the rod. Already planning my next build and not even finished this one haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    What a gift, and one youíve enjoyed making. A fine job youíre doing and Iím sure heíll treasure the rod always. I still use the reels I got in my teens and your son may be the same with his rod.

Nice job!

P.S. I found the hardest thing to get right was the finishing epoxy on the wraps and name plate. It really pays to practice practice & practice. Less is more and if you can get as dust free as possible.
    Thanks for the tip. My pal is whipping the guides on and doing the fancy bits with the metallic thread but I will be doin the epoxy finish. Iím going to do it inside. Iíve got a cosy wee room with all my fishing gear and fly tying bench just off my bedroom that I will use. I did build it initially as a walk in wardrobe for the wife but quickly seized the opportunity to convert it into my ďfishing roomĒ 😁 my wife hates it when I call it that 😂 even got a full rod stand and chest of drawers stacked with all my gear as well as half her hanging rail full with waders and jackets

Built a few rods in my time. Something we didn't appreciate at the time, being a relatively new invention was that fibreglass blanks have a spine, which probably explains why my 20lb class boat rod feels stiffer than my 30lb one!
    Any information as to how your pal locates and marks the spine would be much appreciated.

Very nice , I spent a whole Christmas holiday doing a sage trout rod one year , I was very pleased with it but didnít mix the epoxy well enough and it wrecked it! I would spend an age mixing thoroughly it if I did another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast