Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Salmon spinning taper

Hi. My first post here. But all my googling seems to bring me here so I thought I'd join anyway.

I'm looking for a taper for a split cane spinning rod. 10-12', throwing weight 15-50 grams (1/2 to 1 1/2 oz) and with a deeper action for a multi reel. I know there's a salmon reel (9') in Walkers book but I can't figure out how to lengthen it.

Thanks. (I got lots of rods I'm looking to build so this will be the first in a series of questions)

I'd imagine the 10ft mk 4 Carp rod tapers would be perfect.
    It was designed to be able to cast a piece of breadcrust a decent distance and land 40lb + Carp.
    Would seem a bit heavy these days though.

Have you used one? It seems to get very mixed reviews among coarse anglers. Although it was manufactured by a broad host of companies.

Only ever actually used the Hardy fibreglass version but it was great for playing fish on and casting spinners etc.

I used a Bruce and Walker 11' glass carp rod for years and it was great for most Salmon work.

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    I used a Bruce and Walker 11' glass carp rod for years and it was great for most Salmon work.
    Alright. I'll see if I can lengthen the mk IV then.