Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Blanks

Default Blanks

Recommendations for rod building materials and blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepearl View Post
    Recommendations for rod building materials and blanks.
    Have a look at the bloke stuff the rod builder near you rates them

Yup bloke or guidesnblanks or meadow fishery or foxons; Taniwha also gets good write ups but haven't used them yet myself. What are you after - I have a couple of Bloke blanks i haven't got round to making (13'6" four piece #8 and #9 and a 14' # 9 all in a Matt olive green) if your interested.

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I'll happily recommend Taniwha. Mark stocks good quality hardware which I haven't found elsewhere in Europe. I've ordered three times now and each order has been shipped out the next day. His communications have been swift and helpful, too. The last rod I built was on one of his Nano blanks and it's turned out rather nicely, a 10 ft #3.

I've also been happy buying from Hi-Level in Sweden. It takes a little longer in transit but the prices are good.
    I haven't cast a Hi-Level blank myself but met one of their designers last season. The word from his gillie was that he cast a beautiful line on his own-built Hi-Level blank. He certainly knew his stuff when we chatted and I'm considering building on a Hi-Level myself, soon.

I have a couple of Bloke rods, including an XL50 9' 6'', #6, and, whilst not my favourite, it's a perfectly good rod. I've bought from Mick in the past, too, and he did me a damned good deal on my first Spey set up. Like Mark at Taniwha, Mick Bell tends to offer reel seats you may not see on offer elsewhere (outside China), so his site always worth looking at.
    If you're new to the game I'd recommend buying as much as you need from the one shop. P&p can really mount up if you buy a winding check here, eyes there and epoxy elsewhere, etc.
    Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the offer, just looking into it at the moment

Harrison’s Lorhic . Lovely rod. They’ll sell you a blank and also put a kit together for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Have a look at the bloke stuff the rod builder near you rates them
    Nothing on the website, can you only buy off ebay?

No, Bluepearl, you're very unlikely to see one unbuilt on eBay, you need to contact them directly. I currently have a Harrison Traditional, 9 ft #5 on order, painted Burgundy. The blank itself was a tad under £100, painted.
    You'll find the Lohric series here but only the length/weights they do. Price on application.
    They've been easy to deal with in my experience. I had a problem with the first blank they sent me - excess paint at the tip - but it's now been re-done and is ready to be posted. Whether they'll recompense me for the return postage I don't know, but feel they should. Other than the initial quality control issue though, their comms have been good.
    Lohric, being their top range blank, will be a bit pricier than the Trad series. I cast a d-h Lohric last season and thought it a decent rod, tight and crisp, maybe a tad fast for my taste but I do enjoy a slower rod.
    If you've ever cast a Chaz Burns rod, I believe he uses Lohric blanks. Whether only Lohric I don't know, though. Anyway, they are worth considering, imo. If you, too, prefer a slower rod then their 3 or 4 pc range may suit you better.
    Last edited by Lewis.Chessman; 25-10-2019 at 11:05 PM.