Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Default Relining stripping guide?

Is it possible to replace the missing lining in a stripping guide?
    Looking at its sister stripping guide, it seems to me that the lining is a different metal than the frame and by heating and expanding the latter, it should be possible to drop in a new lining knowing that it will be secure by the cooling frame?
    I could of course replace the whole guide but that means trying to match the highlighting threads, the whipping thread and epoxy etc.
    Any advice?
    H

I see that you can buy replacement ceramic linings on fleabay, Zebco brand from memory, though I've not used them myself. If you can get one to fit snuggly and then run a bead of glue around either side of the join with the frame then that will work. What model of guide is it? A picture would help.... Historically I've always replaced the whole guide myself as the lining is pressed into the frame during manufacture and replacements have not been available. The PacBay Minima 4 guides work well for fly lines and take an accidental knock far better than any ceramic (I wouldn't recommend them for use with braid though as I've had 'spod' rods returned with bad grooving on the 12mm intermediates after just a few months)

I recently contacted Hardy after the ceramic guide popped out on a trout rod. I was told it was originally done by heating the frame and popping it in and so it could repeated. But as you’ve got to remove the guide to do so, for the sake of a few quid why not just replace it.

Ive popped a ceramic guide liner on a fly rod, I tried to glue it back in. It fell out again during use.......
    Eventually I just replaced the faulty guide.

Quote Originally Posted by iainmortimer View Post
    I recently contacted Hardy after the ceramic guide popped out on a trout rod. I was told it was originally done by heating the frame and popping it in and so it could repeated. But as you’ve got to remove the guide to do so, for the sake of a few quid why not just replace it.
    Yes, of course; I didn't think it through. If I heat the frame when it's on the rod, it will likely melt the epoxy on the wrappings etc, so I may as well to replace the whole unit. Pity!
    However, I've noting to lose by trying, if I can size it and find the right lining.
    H
    Last edited by Hibernicus; 22-07-2019 at 02:22 PM.