Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Default Bloke switch rod guide spacing

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has built one of the bloke switch rods. How did you go about determining the guide spacings?

Cheers!

I haven't made one of those but you have three options a) drop Mick Bell a line as he will have spacings he uses for that blank - if you are close to selkirk go and see him it's a real eye opener in his shop; a veritable Aladdins cave for rod builders b) go on line and get spacings from one of the US sites for an equivalent blank e.g. Sage publish all their ring spacings for all ranges c) measure the spacing on one of your mates rods of similar size - I have a Airflo Nantec 11'3" #7 which I can measure for you at weekend

Best regards

Richard

Default guide spacings

phone Mick Bell, more than helpful
    The "forlorn hope".

Bonito on here might be able to advise you

Call Mick.

I have two but I can't measure them for you until next week.

Great rod.

Quote Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
    c) measure the spacing on one of your mates rods of similar size - I have a Airflo Nantec 11'3" #7 which I can measure for you at weekend

Best regards

Richard
    I always thought ring spacing was particular to the rod's action rather than length so as not to create flat spots under load. Is this not the case?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help, I have contacted Mick who has given me the spacings for the guides

Cheers,

Tom

You'd think so and if you compared a really deep flexing rod with a tip action one then the rings would have to be closer together and possibly more numerous on the former than the latter but there's often not a huge difference when you compare rods of same length with similar actions and line rating - it's ensuring the line doesn't change angle too much over one ring when the rod is loaded rather than flat spots that you need to avoid.

Tight lines

Richard

QUOTE=Procurator Fishcal;1065978]I always thought ring spacing was particular to the rod's action rather than length so as not to create flat spots under load. Is this not the case?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]