Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Growth in Inter-Tidal interceptory nets for Bass

Have been hearing rumours of a growing number of licences being given for these nets on the North Sea coast of Northern England. It is apparently known that there is a "by catch" of Seatrout mainly and to a lesser degree salmon.

Since Tweed fish head south, down this coast, before picking-up the scent and heading north agin (or so I was told years ago), could this be impacting seatrout and salmon stocks? Does anyone have the numbers of licences and by-catch involved?

Alta
    Last edited by Altacaster; 19-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Hello Altacaster

I cannot comment on the situation on the North Sea but I have witnessed this a few years ago on a Solway River. The people in question would launch their aluminium boats and then proceed to fish in the estuary at the river mouth. They would normally fish from low water upwards under the pretence of fishing for Bass and Mullet.

Imagine a long estuary that dries out for miles at low water with the river winding through the sand and mud and a monofilament net across the entire river mouth as the tide comes in.

The boats are then out onto their trailers and away with their catch. I dont know the full "ins and outs" of the situation but all I know is that I watched them from my boat and it appeared to be salmon that they were hauling in!!!

Oh and I forgot to mention that the "rumour" was that, the people in question owned a smokehouse.

When you live in a small community it is difficult sometimes to speak out about these things for fear of reprisals. Of course I stand to be corrected and apologies for any false accusations.

Cheers
    Neil

Default This By-Catch story is the common thread

Neil,

The chap who was telling me about it said the by-catch off the NE of England was all seatrout so that was OK!!!! Sounds very similar to what you saw.

Link to declining seatrout numbers maybe?

If I had some facts, rather than rumour would do some lobbying with the Atlantic Salmo Trust et al.

Any good info available from the Tweed authorities or SNH? Or do this fall in a grey area as they are English nets but probably Scottish and English salmon and seatrout.

Alta
    Last edited by Altacaster; 20-04-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Inability to spell after a long day.

Hi Alta,

You could well be right with regard to the Sea Trout. It would only take a concentrated effort by these guys during the main Seatrout run to make a big impact on stocks.

Make no mistake that these guys are not just your average inshore fisherman on lobster/crab fishermen that have decided to branch out. The people in question use large purpose built aluminium workboats with large four stroke outboards towed on 4x4s and can be towed anywhere and launched anywhere.

I believe this is a widespread problem and could be difficult to enforce. Like yourself a lot of what I have heard is rumours but I know one thing for sure that whether fishing for Bass or Mullet it is illegal to have a guy standing on the shore holding a net stretched by boats over the entire width of a river!!!!

I am not sure what the solution to the problem is but I definitely think it is a loophole that needs to be tightened up. I will try and make some enquiries and see what I can come up with.

Cheers
    Neil

Default Letter to DEFRA

Neil,

DEFRA or someone must be licencing the bass nets. Will make some enquiries.

Alta