Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Season so far on the Tweed

Is it just me or does the Tweed look as though it is having a fairly thin time of it so far this season?

The numbers of fish caught for the first two months of the season seem a good bit down on the average.

What are the views of the regular Tweed anglers as to why this is?

tweedbunnet

I have also noticed this on all the East Coast rivers to some degree. They [Salmon] seem to be thin in all the rivers and may just be that they are running late this year. At least we should hope that is the reason

Aye they are all late..

going to arrive now in the next 10 days
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Agree with KF and FP.
    Even when the fishing was good in the "good old days" they had years of absolute plenty admittedl;y against a background of relative plenty
    so roll on the next few months to see what sort of spring run there will be. Hold on to your hat Tweedbunnet, they might arrive soon.
    Was the Tweed ever known as a great spring river anyway??????

Quote Originally Posted by gotoneon View Post
    Was the Tweed ever known as a great spring river anyway??????
    Yes, very much so. Up to the mid 60s it was much more of a spring river than an autumn one. Whether the decline was due to UDN, or simply the natural swing of runs from spring to autumn that occurred everywhere, or a bit of both, is open to debate. The spring run seems to have been coming back a bit in the past few years, but is still nothing like it was previously.

[QUOTE=charlieH;103718] The spring run seems to have been coming back a bit in the past few years, QUOTE]

Thought I would challenge you there Charlie, but interestingly enough the "Season so far" part of FishTweed is missing on their site? Where as, its on the Fish Tay and one can look back over the various seasons for a comparison to date scenario.

Don't know why this is missing from the site when its on others - some thing to hide
    Last edited by kingfisher; 31-03-2009 at 04:38 PM.

12 lber off Dryburgh this afternoon on a cascade tube. Things maybe on the turn for some fresh fish. I have been told that the river does need to warm up though. Currently at approx 42.

Interestingly, a 21 pounder was recorded off Ashiestiel yesterday.

Fishing at Pedwel late May,early June..I've never fished that beat before.Any advice?? I hope there might be a few fish around by then.

Dunbar

That is a truly remarkable catch from Ashiestiel - against all the conventional wisdom for time of year etc. This beat is always capable of surprises!

Well done, whoever caught it.

tweedbunnet

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast