Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Desperate Tweed newbie

Hi guys

Only fished the Tweed a couple of times in many many years so a newbie in all but name.

I'm trying to find somewhere to fish Wed/thursday this week and had planned for the Annan or Nith. BUT, they are massive, brown and more rain to come.

Having had a terrible season this year only getting a few days without flood or drought, I'm very keen to get a last cast in, but living in the deep deep south its a long drive up and seeing the rain your having I'm concerned it would be yet another long drive to look at oxtail soup.

So, do you guys think it's going to be worth my while making the trip up? I've no idea what makes a good or bad hight on the river so looking at the webcam doesnt help a great deal when your as dim as I am.

I was guess it would be better to go toward the top of the river for the chance of a fish? Maybe fairnlee area?
    Any ideas tips would be very welcome.

I was very lucky to get 3 very good days in on Tweed a week or so ago and I was planning on a couple or 3 days before the end on another Tweed beat but I'm not going to bother.The river is too erratic at the moment and really hasn't been the same height for any one day for weeks.
    Apart from the 3 days I fished 5th,6th,7th November..As I say,lucky!

FishPal - Scotland - Tweed - River Levels2

I'm not paying money out on a risk like that and I live closer to the Tweed than you do.I didn't have much choice for the days I've had as they had to be paid for last December.It's obviously your choice but with the price of the fishing(50 a day cheapest),fuel,accommodation etc.I'd give it some serious thought.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Sorry to say but it looks like another big flood making its way downstream so that may well knacker the river for the best part of the week.

FishPal - Scotland - Tweed - River Levels

edit - overlapped with Simon's post but sage advice given by him.
    Last edited by tenet; 19-11-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Just come out of river middle tweed flooded brown and rising. More rain tomorrow. Got half a day from 3 this week by the looks of it. again! Bladdy rain.

I'd say you have your answer Dryfly!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Default the brown brown flooded Tweed

I could'a gone up this week to meet some mates over from ScandiLand who are fishing last 3 days of week,
    Looks like I made correct decision as will be ruined all day today and tomorrow by rising water and more rain on way perhaps,
    at least the guys can get drunk at UK prices rather than Norwegian prices

though who knows may settle down for end of week apart from more showers Thursday forecast looks bit brighter.

if you can book Fairnilee/Ashiesteel area etc at least you are above the dreaded ever-brown Ettrick

LG
    When your time is truly up, the Grim Reaper comes to smile at you.
    And all you can do in all reality, is to just smile right back at him...............

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Hi guys

So, do you guys think it's going to be worth my while making the trip up? I've no idea what makes a good or bad hight on the river so looking at the webcam doesnt help a great deal when your as dim as I am.

I was guess it would be better to go toward the top of the river for the chance of a fish? Maybe fairnlee area?
    Any ideas tips would be very welcome.
    Looking at the availability on fish pal and thinking of say Rutherford and all beats upstream then you want to be looking at 1ft 6 at Boleside as a rough guide as to wether it is worth the drive etc. 2ft and falling with a few dry days forecast would give you time to get up here. There's plenty of availability anyway - unusually. You can leave it to the last minute and/or book middle and top beats mix and match.

or

Go and test drive the Hardy Sintrix range with a view to purchasing with the money you have saved.

Creative accounting I think it's called

Quote Originally Posted by waderbird View Post
    Looking at the availability on fish pal and thinking of say Rutherford and all beats upstream then you want to be looking at 1ft 6 at Boleside as a rough guide as to wether it is worth the drive etc. 2ft and falling with a few dry days forecast would give you time to get up here. There's plenty of availability anyway - unusually. You can leave it to the last minute and/or book middle and top beats mix and match.
    Plenty of availability..Mmmm,I wonder why??

Thanks guys..... maybe a trip to sportfish, that's only an hour north from home.... Very useful tip re the water height. Who knows, maybe I can skive off work next Mon.. probably a better prospect by the looks of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast