Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Tips for October

Guys

I imagine lots of Tweed newbies ask these sorts of questions... sorry, but I hope some of you experts can spare a moment or two to give a bit of advice, again.

I'm fishing Horncliffe, at the old price and Fairnlee during the week begining 12 October, hedging my bets atthe bottom and top of the river. Any tips and advice on lines, fly size, good and bad spots, fly colours, approaches and what to avoid at all costs. Anything really!

I understand Eric on Horncliff is a very good ghillie so that will be a great help. I ve not come across the chap at Fairnlee but looking forward to that too - I believe his son was a Scotland rugby international?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post

I understand Eric on Horncliff is a very good ghillie

Thanks!

thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long while!

Quote Originally Posted by onthedangle View Post
    thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long while!
    You're alive!!!

Huh??? Don't get it..... I'm being dimm (again) no doubt.....?????

Default Fairnilee/Horncliffe

I've fished both beats and my advice for October simple though it is,would be to use the standard Autumn set up.A WetCel II or equivalent sink rate line.I use a Sink1/2 or 2/3 Sh/Hd but an Intermediate with a quick-sink poly leader or the WetCell should suffice.Leader strength should be around the 20lb mark about 6-8ft long.
    Flies are a personal choice but I like flies with the Autumnal colours in them so red,orange,brown,yellow & black.My own favourites are the 'Tail Fire Cascade PBP' and although mainly all black 'The Monkey' too with a 6" long black tail and a red or orange throat with some angel hair sparkle sparsley tied in.Its proved to be a great pattern for me in the last hour of the day and for me I'd fish that rather than the traditional Tweed late in the day patterns such as the Whitewing or Junction Shrimp.As you know the fish are getting pretty agressive at this time of year so the red in the fly is a good attractor and stimulates the fishes predatory instincs.
    Wattie Dodds is the man at Fairnilee and drives that landrover like he's driving a ChallengerII tank.Bloody hell,he nearly had me through the windscreen.He's a real nice guy!!!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by simon grace; 29-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

:Thanks. I'll be needing a wading staff, life vest and crash helmet then..... maybe a set of knee and elbow pads too?

Going to set to tying some red stuff tonight

do you find red better than purple? im struggling to choose a back end killer as nowts working at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    do you find red better than purple? im struggling to choose a back end killer as nowts working at the moment
    Purple isn't a colour I ever use.It doesn't do anything for me so I wouldn't fish that colour fly with any confidence..Just my personal preference.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Default back end col's

Spencer some of the best anglers I mix with, plus others who are successful on the rivers I fish, plus my own mates also- tend to still stick with Black/Yellow end of season,
    it certainly got us plenty fish last few years lat months on Dee and Tweed,
    Posh Tosh or Monkey kind of stuff.

last year on Dee back end the Red Francis brass tube was top also.
    Park Shrimp also.

Personally I catch zilch on purple also.

LG
    When your time is truly up, the Grim Reaper comes to smile at you.
    And all you can do in all reality, is to just smile right back at him...............

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    :thanks. I'll be needing a wading staff, life vest and crash helmet then..... Maybe a set of knee and elbow pads too?

Going to set to tying some red stuff tonight
    Last edited by silverleapers; 30-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Get educated and involved in what salmon open net pens are doing, before it is too late!