Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: River Till

Default River Till

Does anyone on here fish the River Till??

If yes, where bouts and whats it like for fishing?

I have fished the Till a fair bit. The fishiest looking beat I have found is Tiptoe, near the meeting with Tweed. However, it is in a gorge and the walk back to base may be too much for some. The Beat is not maintained to Tweed standards, and in summer is very overgrown in terms of even getting near the pools....but it has potential and I would go back, with realistic expectations.
    The Ford and Etal beats are much more user-friendly, Brian T will really help too. Like others I find Tindle House on the lower Till a lovely stretch. Never had a fish off Redscar, though my pal swears by it and has some excellent results- often with a Mepps or a worm in the daytime.
    The TAS (Tyneside) beats above Fenton (near Wooler) are where I have done best on the Till. Open and wild and fishing where you need to be careful and quiet. Certain TAS members do really well here, especially after summer water, and night fishing is good too (unlike the lower Tweed).
    The Till can run very coloured after rain, the day after a flood is better than when it is really mucky but I am no expert here. You can get a very good days' fishing for 30 or less though..... got to be worth a look.

silvertourist Guest

Fished all the beats mentioned,,,,my favourite is redscar,,,,not good looking flywater,,,but comes into it's own after dark,,,a few of us used to fish here on a regular basis,,,,we never spun or wormed,,,though looking at the water it's the first thought you have,,it's very canal like,,,,resembles the sort of crossing point in Africa where the wilderbeasts cross,,,,that said we all used to do well using small doubles
    or if conditions favoured ,,,the surface lure,,though these were home made S /L,,using etha foam,,,and much smaller than the shop bought ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoater View Post
    I have fished the Till a fair bit. The fishiest looking beat I have found is Tiptoe, near the meeting with Tweed. However, it is in a gorge and the walk back to base may be too much for some. The Beat is not maintained to Tweed standards, and in summer is very overgrown in terms of even getting near the pools....but it has potential and I would go back, with realistic expectations.
    The Ford and Etal beats are much more user-friendly, Brian T will really help too. Like others I find Tindle House on the lower Till a lovely stretch. Never had a fish off Redscar, though my pal swears by it and has some excellent results- often with a Mepps or a worm in the daytime.
    The TAS (Tyneside) beats above Fenton (near Wooler) are where I have done best on the Till. Open and wild and fishing where you need to be careful and quiet. Certain TAS members do really well here, especially after summer water, and night fishing is good too (unlike the lower Tweed).
    The Till can run very coloured after rain, the day after a flood is better than when it is really mucky but I am no expert here. You can get a very good days' fishing for 30 or less though..... got to be worth a look.
    I take it you cant get day tickets for doddington then??

Default Till

does the Till come under Scottish or English law? ie rod licence.
    Reason i ask is its on fish scotland but in the English rivers reports in t&s?

Quote Originally Posted by weecast View Post
    does the Till come under Scottish or English law? ie rod licence.
    Reason i ask is its on fish scotland but in the English rivers reports in t&s?

The whole tweed catchment is under scottish law. Dont need a rod licence for the till or any other part of the tweed

Remember an Article in T&S many years ago about the Till and how it was an exceptionally early Sea Trout and Salmon river. With sport from now to well into the summer.

Is it still the case?

remember reading that methods of Spinning with mepps and using small Doubles and single handers the norm.

How night Fishing for the trout was best from Dusk to about mid night but not productive in the complete dead of night...unless a dry kate mc claren in size 16 or less was used... think thats a direct quote lol lol

Also like my Local water it only needs a good breeze in low water conditions to get fish moving and on the take.

It caught my imagination and really interested me then and still does so if you making the trip Martin a wee report would be great!!!!

I'll look out the back issue if i can and see if i can get info for you

and the re read will be worth it alone!!!!!
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Remember an Article in T&S many years ago about the Till and how it was an exceptionally early Sea Trout and Salmon river. With sport from now to well into the summer.

Is it still the case?

remember reading that methods of Spinning with mepps and using small Doubles and single handers the norm.

How night Fishing for the trout was best from Dusk to about mid night but not productive in the complete dead of night...unless a dry kate mc claren in size 16 or less was used... think thats a direct quote lol lol

Also like my Local water it only needs a good breeze in low water conditions to get fish moving and on the take.

It caught my imagination and really interested me then and still does so if you making the trip Martin a wee report would be great!!!!

I'll look out the back issue if i can and see if i can get info for you

and the re read will be worth it alone!!!!!
    i its still the same, infact it has a grand run of spring trout running the now 6 to 8lb class

Martin,
    Day tickets are not available on the river between fenton to Doddington. But TAS guest tickets are available for 15 which many folk on the forum would help you with, but as you know access is not exclusive all over the Till. So you should always get a chance. I have seen some wonderful early seatrout caught, not by me though, I daresay a few will be well upriver right now.

Quote Originally Posted by topbeat View Post
    i its still the same, infact it has a grand run of spring trout running the now 6 to 8lb class
    dont spread the word been bust enough lately

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast