Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishpal error

Default Fishpal error

How believable is Fishpal's catch reporting system?

I fished Upper Floors yesterday and today with Peter Anderson and Tweedbunnet, we were the only three fishing. Peter caught a 16lb kelt yesterday but today there was nothing whatsoever caught, not even a kelt.

We fished right through to 5pm and all left at the same time as the two ghillies.

Yet lo and behold they are claiming on Fishpal that there was a fish caught at Upper Floors today. It's simply not true!

Oops, naughty naughty! Crispen I have a question for you, I will pm you in a day or so! Cheers mac.

whats the best way to sell spare rods ?

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    How believable is Fishpal's catch reporting system?

I fished Upper Floors yesterday and today with Peter Anderson and Tweedbunnet, we were the only three fishing. Peter caught a 16lb kelt yesterday but today there was nothing whatsoever caught, not even a kelt.

We fished right through to 5pm and all left at the same time as the two ghillies.

Yet lo and behold they are claiming on Fishpal that there was a fish caught at Upper Floors today. It's simply not true!

Crispin,

I don't know what the answer to your conundrum is.

What I can tell you, and you probably know this, is that the fish posted onto the Fishpal website are the sole responsibility of the head ghillie or other appointee for each beat. They post the scores using their mobile phones. Sometimes fish get posted out of sequence, because they didn't have access to their mobile phone on the day the fish was caught or it was too late etc. so the fish get posted a day or two later.

It has been alleged, however, that sometimes the fish posted, over a period, fail to reconcile with the experience of the people who were actually fishing during the same period. To my knowledge there has never been any investigation of this, despite these discrepancies being very large at times.

I imagine that a proper audit is beyond the scope of the system but the beats that have been alleged to consistently over report are well known and people can and do make their own judgments about them. But it is a damn shame that some beats seem to feel the need to misrepresent themselves in this way. Where it occurs, it is clearly a misuse of the reporting system. It can also encourage others to do likewise.

Souwester

It is a shame that your Upper Floors fishing didn't do a bit better for you. At least the ice shifted so you would have got a chance to fish all of the water properly. Maybe it will encourage you to give it another try when there is likely to be more fish about.
    Last edited by Souwester; 17-02-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Default Fishpal

Just an innocent mistake by somebody I am sure.

I met the fishpal office many time and they are nice people who only post on their site reports the GHILLIES tell them.

liars they certainly are not,
    not than anybody implied that but there will be a reason/answer out there somewhere- I am sure of that.

the UK salmon fishing world got better for sure thanks their superb reports/availability lists for each river do you not agree?
    Last edited by Loop Tackle Design; 17-02-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Default Fishpal error

Look... were fishermen , we dont expect accuracy , genuine incidents / accidents happen, people fall over board, pension funds are left short, people get knighted, some are working off the lunar clock, some a chronometer and the celestial stars, a few sips of Glenfiddich , a deep lung full of bracken and bobs your uncle, it was the assistant Gilllie at 0600 with a bunch of worms .....

" its all done in the best possible taste "..............

Now where's me morning paper.....till I see whats really happening.... ?
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
    It is a shame that your Upper Floors fishing didn't do a bit better for you. At least the ice shifted so you would have got a chance to fish all of the water properly. Maybe it will encourage you to give it another try when there is likely to be more fish about.
    Souwester, I would go back like a shot! Anytime!

It's a cracking beat.

My number one reason for going was to have Peter Anderson do some assessment and correction of my casting before I move up to the next rung of the ladder.

The fact that I didn't encounter a fish is neither here nor there, I did what I went there to do (and developed a taste for Macallan's 18 year-old into the bargain).
    Last edited by crispin; 18-02-2010 at 10:31 AM.

I did what I went there to do (and developed a taste for Macallan's 18 year-old into the bargain).
    And FP and Bad Bastie, before you start drawing conclusions, 'Macallan's 18 year-old' doesn't refer to the ghillie's daughter!!

And FP and Bad Bastie, before you start drawing conclusions, 'Macallan's 18 year-old' doesn't refer to the ghillie's daughter!!
    I'm too learned in such ways already

Bring on the Balvenie
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Your both clearly to old for any 18 year old ghillies daughters, i will handle things like that in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast