Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  137
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default Tweed Fishing 2017

to all who fish the tweed best of luck and lets hope the fish come back

I'm there next week & busy reading weather forecasts; it looks like thermals & fleece layers will be required.

I can't wait!

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I'm there next week & busy reading weather forecasts; it looks like thermals & fleece layers will be required.

I can't wait!

Regards, Tyke.
    you on floors ?

Yes, Upper Floors; you?

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Yes, Upper Floors; you?

Regards, Tyke.
    unfortunatly having intensive physio on my back doubt i will be out fishing for a few months but if i were i could think of no where i would rather be . its looking good for you !

early days yet but the fish caught thus far seem to be of a larger size than one expect from the tweed in spring , maybe the start of something new !

Quote Originally Posted by Reeboker View Post
    early days yet but the fish caught thus far seem to be of a larger size than one expect from the tweed in spring , maybe the start of something new !
    been like that for a few years now, gone are the days when they were all around 8lb but theres not nearly enough of these fish to convince me of a move from a autumn run to a spring run, the spring run is holding its own for now, and any evidence of improvement has to be a good thing, but the late summer and autumn is still a big worry.
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

aye a ten pounder used to be above average in the spring ,encourging to see some upper teens an bigger now . i am waiting for a wet summer before i throw my autumn towel in ,just on the off chance it makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by marty31 View Post
    been like that for a few years now, gone are the days when they were all around 8lb but theres not nearly enough of these fish to convince me of a move from a autumn run to a spring run, the spring run is holding its own for now, and any evidence of improvement has to be a good thing, but the late summer and autumn is still a big worry.
    I believe the theory on the river was big springers mean small numbers. I agree there doesn't appear to be any return to a spring cycle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I believe the theory on the river was big springers mean small numbers. I agree there doesn't appear to be any return to a spring cycle yet.
    Certainly if the spring fish are larger because they are 3SW rather than 2SW (rather than just have had better feeding), it is only to be expected that they will be fewer in number. Another 12 months at sea means another year exposed to predation etc.

On a related point, I think it might be interesting to look at the total weight of fish caught in a river, as they often do in Norway, rather than merely the head count as is the norm here. Obviously egg numbers are largely a function of body mass, so in simple terms, if a river's run changes from mainly 2SW salmon averaging 10lbs to mainly grilse averaging 5lbs, there needs to be twice as many fish to maintain the same level of egg deposition. And, broadly speaking, a year less at sea should indeed mean that there are more fish overall.

It would be easy to look at a river's total catch and think that, because numbers had increased from 1000 fish pa to 1200 pa, that river was doing well. But if in that time the run had shifted from salmon to grilse, that increase could disguise the fact that egg deposition had in fact gone backwards.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast