Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  137
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

see upper floors had one t day wonder if tyke scored

No the salmon today wasn't me as I came home today because I could only get 4 days (Mon-Thurs) fishing.

Conditions were a bit tricky as the water was murky with snow melt & lifting & falling each day, but they settled out by Thursday with the water clearing & the temperature rising a few degrees - my mate & I both wished we'd had the Friday & Saturday as we felt that chances were getting much better.

I did manage the sea trout on Thursday though, which was a nice fish of around 7 lbs on a black & orange tube fly; & followed this with a sea trout kelt on a Zebra Toby when I went through with the spinning rod later to cover the bits I couldn't get to with the fly.

So no springer, but at least I had a fresh fish - just not the species I anticipated.

It was an enjoyable trip though.

Regards, Tyke.

good on yer for going an giving a bash , a 7lb seatrout must have given you a few palpatations !
    thanks for the report .tell me has the food at the hotel improved ?

Yes the food in the hotel was pretty good, in fact the kippers were truly delicious - so much so that I had them for breakfast 3 days out of the 4! They served them with some sort of lemon butter & finely chopped softened shallots & herbs; which really worked for me.

We ate in twice, once for a bar snack - fish chips & mushy peas (small portion but very good) & once for dinner in the dining room - also pretty good. The other nights we went into Kelso for a pint of real ale & a bar meal, Queens Head one night, which was OK, & Cobbles the other night which was very good & the beer was lovely.

Regards, Tyke.

sounds like a throughly enjoyable trip , your description of kippers has made me crave them

Default Tweed Fishing Report 20th Feb 2017 Spring Season – once we get going properly ……

The river has remained fairly steady at a good fishable fly water height and has been mainly running clear.* The Teviot rose a little last week bringing in some colour but generally, the fishing remains steady with fresh or sealiced fish being caught daily.* Many fish are in the mid-teens 14–16lbs, with the largest reported fish so far being reported at 43” in length, caught from the Lees.* The fish was a fresh sealiced fish caught on a gold bodied Willie Gunn; by Graham Whitty.* Truly a fish of a lifetime – well done Graham!

The water temperature has remained steady being around 40° but generally between 38/40°.

Spinning started last week but although some beats have chosen to spin the remainder have opted to fish on the fly.* As the conditions are favourable for the fly, successful patterns have been the gold bodied Willie Gunn and the all time classic; black & yellow.* These have been fished on floating lines with tips owing to the water being fairly clear.* Most fishers are opting for 15lb ultra green Maxima or, if it has risen a little and is carrying some colour, then 18lbs Chameleon Maxima.* Most productive areas are Floors down to Coldstream, all in all, not a bad start to our 2017 season here on Tweedside.

It’s great to see fish being caught on a daily basis.* The upside has been the quality of the fish.* Without doubt; quality over quantity is reining forth.* It is still very early in the Spring season but once we get going properly around mid-March, we will have a better idea as to how the season is looking.* Last week we suffered cold easterly winds nearly all week, making the fishing somewhat challenging!

Two beats on the river now have their new huts fully operational for the 2017 season.* The old Junction hut which was washed away in the folds of December 2015, has now been replaced with a smart new pavilion style hut whilst Dryburgh Upper, have rebuilt and relocated theirs.* Thus making fishing on these beats that little bit more enjoyable and luxurious!
    It is without doubt that Spring is on its way as we witness the young shoots of wild garlic, snow drops and crocuses which are now starting to come through.

by Tim Pilcher

Tweedside Tackle

Article Source...

Forgive me if this is the wrong place but I notice 10 off Junction today. Pretty good going.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Forgive me if this is the wrong place but I notice 10 off Junction today. Pretty good going.
    thats a fine spring catch

Default Tweed Salmon Fishing Report – April 4, 2017

Finally, some meat on the bone!* A report that is reporting fish!* Again, not a full week’s fishing owing to a flood that stopped play on Thursday but check out some of these catches prior to the flood last Thursday with Junction having seven on the Monday, followed by ten on the Tuesday then eight on the Wednesday.* Hendersyde and Upper Hendersyde both got two on the Wednesday and Rutherford getting in on the action with Five.* Lower Floors managed six and Lower North Wark three.
    You will be forgiven for thinking that someone got their dates mixed up and this was an April fools’ joke – but this is not – it just goes to prove what a strong stock of Springers we have here on Tweed, albeit at the moment localised in the middle river.
    When the water was fishable but not necessarily with ideal conditions it is also worth remembering that most of the fish were being caught on the fly and very few on the spinner, as when fishable, it was an ideal fly water.
    Water temperature was in the mid-40s which once again meant that good seatrout were being caught up to 7lbs and 8lbs.
    Check out Tweedbeats and Fishtweed for available fishing.* Many of the Junction fish have been sea-liced with the vast majority caught on the fly. *Black and yellow flies are still the most popular, and successful, and bare in mind only two were caught on the spinner.
    Twenty-six in total so far for last week all caught in the first four days!

Article Source...

Two swallows make a summer then? From the 19 beats below Sunderland hall 33 fish reported for the first 3 days of this week. How many rod days? An improvement yes , lets hope the trend continues.
    Last edited by brumyterry; 06-04-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast