Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perth By-pass 2019

Just back from almost 2 weeks on the Tay at Perth.I've fished here for over 30 years now and had some truly great times.
    Sadly it pains me greatly to say the once great River Tay is now beyond being on it's knees.1st two weeks of Sept., historically prime time and the Tay looks little more than a watery by-pass for Perth!.I caught(only just!), but that's despite flogging from dawn to almost dusk.Me n Tyke gave it a reet pasting for a paltry return.Now, there were 2 days I never even saw a fish!-at all, had 3 in my first week and not a tap, knock, pull or owt for the second.Almond mouth had blank days!, unheard of even in flood!.
    I do feel the clocks a ticking now, the demise of Salmon fishing is almost upon us, either through no fish at all, or a total enforced or even probable voluntary cessation of the sport for many.
    I can only wonder of how many fish are getting to some of the tributaries, the figure must be pitiful!.
    The next week or so will see the truth on the Ribble where I also fish, but I'm not expecting a lot there either!.
    As ever too little wayyyyy too late.What price Hydro. on all our once thriving Salmon rivers very soon?
    Sadly yours,Pedro.

I had been wondering how your water had been fishing Pedro? Sad news indeed.

I see almond mouth had the best August catches in 5 years, you may need to come up earlier in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Just back from almost 2 weeks on the Tay at Perth.I've fished here for over 30 years now and had some truly great times.
    Sadly it pains me greatly to say the once great River Tay is now beyond being on it's knees.1st two weeks of Sept., historically prime time and the Tay looks little more than a watery by-pass for Perth!.I caught(only just!), but that's despite flogging from dawn to almost dusk.
    A pal of mine from Blair, Milos, who you probably know, told me today that the run had gone now from Stormont waters, little to be seen or caught over the last 2 weeks. There was a time not so long ago, when some anglers fishing there solely for profit (you know who I am particularly talking about) would take 6 basses down each visit and would be disappointed if he did not fill them at this time of year. A distant memory now in these days of ever more pitiful returns.
    He also said that what fish are in the Tay appear to be concentrated in the Lower river above Almondmouth and below the Isla. The tribs are all pretty poor this year, the Ericht hasn't got going and only around 1500 through Pitlochry counter.
    It really is a sad state of affairs but not confined to the Tay. My local rivers, the Earn and Teith, 2 of the best back end rivers in Scotland not so very long ago are both pretty much devoid of fresh fish with only a few river fish turning up here and there.
    It'll be better next *(week)*, *(month)*, *(year).*
    *Insert or delete as appropriate*
    Respect My Authorita!!

Two weeks continuous salmon fishing is a lot IMHO, although I realise Perth is a long drive

For me, 3 days is enough if the fishing is reasonably good, and more than enough if the fishing is bad; its certainly enough on my body if you are casting on a river the size of the Tay.

Would you be better to act like a fishing terrorist another year - base yourself up in Perth for a week and then have several days on different rivers in driving distance that may be doing a bit better or have better conditions on the day ?

Both the rivers you mention most (Tay and Ribble) seeming to be having bad years, so you are maybe getting more disillusioned than is necessary - I have been guilty of that myself.

Nb. With such a large, partially unspoilt catchment I am surprised the Tay has been doing so badly; dont understand it.

I have fished Lower Kinnaird, Kercock, and Stobhall, this year. The shortage of fish is a great concern, to all the gillies.

That's why we're going Barbel South bound this year and I'm selling my Salmon gear bit by bit. No one will want to spend money on the job lot..Still love Scotland. Just come back from a week on Skye but I just cant see myself Salmon fishing in Scotland again to be honest.
    I haven't fished in Scotland for 3 years. It used to be 2 or 3 times a year. The fish have gone and so has my spirit for catching them.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Ofshore,I've fished those waters on the Tay for over 30 years now and did indeed experience some of the times of plenty.Some of the catches I've seen on there were quite outstanding!(polite way of agreeing with Kierstream!).I just love the place, I love the wading and big casting and most of all love it when a big chrome bright fish clears off back towards Dundee "wiv me flee" taking most of my backing with it!.
    For what I pay for the season, I feel most comfortable in giving the place a real good pasting as often as I'm able(less so these days afraid!), I'd barely get a few days in elsewhere for that money and I am pretty confident its Champangne fishing for Lemonade brass, still always have the chance of a special fish of a lifetime here!
    I have the memory this year of 70 yds of backing being ripped off the reel in the first run, that will stay with me for a long time, a good fish in a heavy stream certainly puts a smile on my face!.
    As for the state of the runs of fish, well its amazing how so many rivers are suffering exactly the same problems while all having completely differing eco systems and their own specific problems.For me its a question of a common denominator and thats netting on an extinction level on the high seas! and for more than just Salmon.China is struggling to feed its population now!,they'll take all they can get from where ever they can get it from.
    Salmon fishing gear for sale!,any one?.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    That's why we're going Barbel South bound this year and I'm selling my Salmon gear bit by bit. No one will want to spend money on the job lot..Still love Scotland. Just come back from a week on Skye but I just cant see myself Salmon fishing in Scotland again to be honest.
    I haven't fished in Scotland for 3 years. It used to be 2 or 3 times a year. The fish have gone and so has my spirit for catching them.
    It's not all bleak, some bits are still good. I've caught 32 salmon and grilse in 18 days fishing in Scotland this season, and could have had more if I'd tried a bit harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    It's not all bleak, some bits are still good. I've caught 32 salmon and grilse in 18 days fishing in Scotland this season, and could have had more if I'd tried a bit harder!
    Andrew,
    you and I both know that the rivers to which you refer are now pretty much tied up in terms of lets. The rivers to which Simon is probably referring to are those still relatively available to the masses and which all have the one common denominator, man's interference and foot print.
    It's a hard gig generally in the vast majority of Scotland's rivers.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Ofshore,I've fished those waters on the Tay for over 30 years now and did indeed experience some of the times of plenty.Some of the catches I've seen on there were quite outstanding!(polite way of agreeing with Kierstream!).
    I get that the Stormont ticket still retains value for what it offers.
    What I don't get is why would you agree impolitely?
    Surely you either agree or disagree?
    Respect My Authorita!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast