Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Default A Few Days on Knockando

Our party fished Monday to Wednesday on Knockando. We arrived at the river Monday morning full of the usual anticipation, the river was at a good height, fish were showing as we were setting up, all looking good. We had a fish by lunchtime (about 12lb) which was great but it had been raining all the previous night and the river started rising and had probably gone up 6" when we left for the evening, but it was pouring down when we left.

Tuesday morning and I think there was another 12" by morning. But we persevered and with Andrews help we managed to get another - a small grilse, we were seeing fish all day, but obviously they were running. I think most of us had hooked a fish or two by this point, but they just weren't playing ball and staying on. When we left the river it wasn't looking good as it was still raining.

Wednesday we arrived and surprisingly it had dropped, but try as we might the fish hadn't read the script, another few takes but nothing was sticking, I had to be away at 5pm as I was driving straight home. Right 3 more casts and I'm off I said to myself, stripping a sunray back and bang I'm in, or so I thought for a few brief seconds, this one stayed on but it was only a sea trout, so near yet so far.

No salmon for me, but really enjoyed the 3 days, Andrew worked his hardest to put us on the fish, great ghillie as always and looking forwards to a few days there again next year.

If you're losing fish put smaller hooks on...

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    If you're losing fish put smaller hooks on...
    What's your science behind this please?

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    What's your science behind this please?
    It's always my belief that once a smaller hook goes in then it is much, much harder to get out than a larger hook that is more prone to pivoting during the fight...

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    It's always my belief that once a smaller hook goes in then it is much, much harder to get out than a larger hook that is more prone to pivoting during the fight...
    Ashley,
    I have played and lost 28 fish since mid May this season, mostly on hooks smaller than 12s during the summer. How do you relate that to your theory?
    I hope you have an answer, as I don't.
    I expect that Karl K is long enough in the tooth also to try his own remedies.
    In my experience, the hook has little to do with losing a fish but more to do if you are hooking runners or resters. I know for a fact that almost all the fish I have lost were almost certainly runners, given the conditions and the locations of the fish when I hooked them.
    In my experience with runners, your chances of landing them are pretty long odds, regardless of hook size.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Ashley,
    I have played and lost 28 fish since mid May this season, mostly on hooks smaller than 12s during the summer. How do you relate that to your theory?
    I hope you have an answer, as I don't.
    I expect that Karl K is long enough in the tooth also to try his own remedies.
    In my experience, the hook has little to do with losing a fish but more to do if you are hooking runners or resters. I know for a fact that almost all the fish I have lost were almost certainly runners, given the conditions and the locations of the fish when I hooked them.
    In my experience with runners, your chances of landing them are pretty long odds, regardless of hook size.
    bad angling

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    bad angling
    That's what I'm beginning to think too.
    I've never had a season like it for losing fish.
    Mind you, since the middle of August when river fish seemed to appear, I have landed every fish I hooked. My running total now is 19 landed and a proverbial roll has started, strangely enough using size 6 & 8 doubles, clearly at odds with Ashley's theory.
    But, as we all so often say, if we just had the answer----------------------
    Last edited by keirstream; 14-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Respect My Authorita!!