Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it worth going to Grantown?

I've got the opportunity to go to Grantown "Castle Grant" for a week starting Friday coming is it worth going weather permitting?

Cheers Al

Its always worth going to Grantown on Spey in August.
    There are a lot of fish coming into the lower river these days. If you get some water it could be great at Castle Grand at the weekend and next week.
    Last edited by lax0341; 20-08-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Most of the fish are being reported from Abernethy association and Gordon Castle there's not many fish reported from Grantown association water would that put you off?
    Bear in mind i need fish to be there to justify rearranging work etc it's hassle but for a reasonable chance at a few fish I'm up for it.

Cheers Al

IMO it depends on some drops of rain and a small rise in the water level.
    The fish are sitting in the lower river at the moment but with a little rise in water they will rise upstream. In August they often do not stop in Grantown Association water but run straight thru it to Castle Grant.
    Last edited by lax0341; 20-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lax0341 View Post
    IMO it depends on some drops of rain and a small rise in the water level.
    The fish are sitting in the lower river at the moment but with a little rise in water they will rise upstream. In August they often do not stop in Grantown Association water but run straight thru it to Castle Grant.

Interesting theory, except Castle Grant is downstream of Grantown Association!

Apologies I thought Grantown association was called upper/lower Castle Grant?

On the Spey system there was 196 salmon for last week is that a good number for the time of year on the Spey?
    I fished it day and night for a week in June and only caught one sea trout, i would need the odds to be considerably better to consider it.

Cheers Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 21-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    Apologies I thought Grantown association was called upper/lower Castle Grant?

On the Spey system there was 196 salmon for last week is that a good number for the time of year on the Spey?
    I fished it day and night for a week in June and only caught one sea trout, i would need the odds to be considerably better to consider it.

Cheers Al
    On the Spey system there were considerably more than 196 salmon caught, what you should have said is there were 196 salmon reported on FishPal. Very few of the Spey beats report to FishPal.
    Read my report on the Fishery Board Website, Week Commencing the Glorious Twelfth 2019 - Spey Fishery Board , for a better indication of what is being caught, and I will be the first to admit there are still many estates that do not always report to me their catches.
    Last edited by williegunn2; 21-08-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks very much Willie gun that's very helpful and makes it look pretty inviting, would it be wrong to assume if there's salmon on the lower beats there will be salmon at the Grantown beat or at least a decent chance of a fish?

Many thanks Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 21-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Very interesting ...

You are right. I mean they stop in Castle Grant and dont run thru to the Association Water. My friends from Berlin used to fish Castle Grand quite often in August until 2010 when they changed over to Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by williegunn2 View Post
    Interesting theory, except Castle Grant is downstream of Grantown Association!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast