Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  119
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spey 2019

Default Spey 2019

Due to the misfortune of a very nice gentleman, a place has become available for 3 days on Tulchan D in April with some friends of mine. I lost my place in the party due to serious illness in 2012 that put me out of the game for around 3 seasons and it wasnít fair to get it back at someone elseís expense. So tying tube flies is going to be the order of the day for the next couple of months.

Iím also back on Pitchroy for a week in May hoping to either improve on last years tally of three or to get a double figure fish. These goals are by no means mutually exclusive!
    Last edited by John Keane; 13-12-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Will be visiting the Brae Waters late April for 3 days . The place is absolutely stunning and a dream to fish with expert ghillies but if i am being honest unless we see fish and hook one or 2 then i do not think i will be heading back until things pick up. The costs mount up when you fling a hotel in and meals ,lunches,evening drinks and tips . As much as i love the break i am up there to catch salmon and i can fish my local rivers at this time. I do not mind if i do not catch a fish but at least see a few and as long as they are being caught above or below us. Last year i could not believe how few fish were about and our party had 1 sea trout for our 3 days and only seen 1 salmon splash. I really do hope this river picks up as the local hotels and shops will suffer with less anglers fishing the river. These parts of Scotland rely on the Anglers and tourists in the spring and summer months as there is not many tourists in winter time.

Apart from rejoining my local angling association I have not pre booked any fishing for next year and don't plan to. Usually by now I would have booked a few days on at least the Spey and the North Esk and would be waiting eagerly for the Pitlochry Dam fishing coming up but not now. This year 2018 I stuck to my decision to buy no new salmon fishing gear other than consumables such as leaders, next year it is no pre booking and if 2019 is as poor as 2018 that is it. I will major on trout fishing and look at something new such as pike fishing.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Ypres View Post
    Apart from rejoining my local angling association I have not pre booked any fishing for next year and don't plan to. Usually by now I would have booked a few days on at least the Spey and the North Esk and would be waiting eagerly for the Pitlochry Dam fishing coming up but not now. This year 2018 I stuck to my decision to buy no new salmon fishing gear other than consumables such as leaders, next year it is no pre booking and if 2019 is as poor as 2018 that is it. I will major on trout fishing and look at something new such as pike fishing.
    Len
    Hi Ypres, i know exactly where you are coming from. I would love it for the UK rivers to have an absolute bumper of a year in 2019 similar to 2010 . With all the talk of trouble at sea i wonder if there is a chance of the weather and the predicted 2019 El Nino actually helping the salmon and their feeding ground food stocks. It just seems that the salmon are taking a beating wherever that may be. You see the Net fishermen saying that Mackerel has exploded in the North Atlantic so i wonder if the salmon can eventually benefit (Probably not and will be worse for them) from this warming Atlantic in some way. I will never sell my gear and i will always fish for them as long as they are still about even in low numbers but it is becoming harder to spend full days and trips focusing on them when they are not there in numbers which offer good sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieL View Post
    Hi Ypres, i know exactly where you are coming from. I would love it for the UK rivers to have an absolute bumper of a year in 2019 similar to 2010 . With all the talk of trouble at sea i wonder if there is a chance of the weather and the predicted 2019 El Nino actually helping the salmon and their feeding ground food stocks. It just seems that the salmon are taking a beating wherever that may be. You see the Net fishermen saying that Mackerel has exploded in the North Atlantic so i wonder if the salmon can eventually benefit (Probably not and will be worse for them) from this warming Atlantic in some way. I will never sell my gear and i will always fish for them as long as they are still about even in low numbers but it is becoming harder to spend full days and trips focusing on them when they are not there in numbers which offer good sport.
    I have an opinion that salmon fishing will improve when we come out of the comon fishing policy.

best wishes to any fisherman friends, crossed on the banks of the Grantown association.

Quote Originally Posted by christian roulleau View Post
    best wishes to any fisherman friends, crossed on the banks of the Grantown association.
    Happy New Year to you to & lets hope for better water conditions on the Spey this year.

Nine weeks to, Monkey and Willie Gunn tubes To tie a-plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by christian roulleau View Post
    Good new year and a successful one to all my French friends. Look forward to meeting you in June.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Nine weeks to, Monkey and Willie Gunn tubes To tie a-plenty!
    Silly me, itís 11 weeks to go, must have been high on optimism.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast