Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  94
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Spey 2019

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    That would be the April run past then?
    My friend Colin fished yesterday on Beat C with not a sniff of a fish at 2ft 2in.
    I joined him for a day's fishing today with another friend on a dropping water which was at 1ft 6in at close of play. Colin had the briefest of handshakes with a fish in Dunbar and that was that for the day.
    Colin is back on C tomorrow, then the Moriston, then back to D Beat on Friday.
    Surely he'll get a fish out of that lot????
    So, on the final few hours of his week's fishing and nothing to show for it so far.
    He needs to pull one out of the hat in the afternoon.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Just had a text from one of my mates thatís still up on C Beat, that a bloke, not in our party, but has a rod every year with us on D and C has had 2 fish out of Straan this morning with one being around 12lb.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Just had a text from one of my mates thatís still up on C Beat, that a bloke, not in our party, but has a rod every year with us on D and C has had 2 fish out of Straan this morning with one being around 12lb.
    Just heard that Colin has had an 8lbr from Woodend too.
    Respect My Authorita!!

End of day text from my mate is that itís two from C and two from D.

By Woodend do you mean Tail of Wood on D Beat?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    End of day text from my mate is that itís two from C and two from D.

By Woodend do you mean Tail of Wood on D Beat?
    As far as I am aware. Yes.
    Never having fished D I can't determine between my tail and my end.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Well done Colin

Just got round to writing this post as i have been busy , anyway myself and 2 friends fished the Brae Beats at the start of May for 3 days. We were staying in the Gordon Arms for 2 of the nights and then travelled back down the road on the Saturday. First day the river was in the pink and low but started rising in the afternoon but stayed clean for the first 1-2 hours then algae and weed started coming down so we called it a day at 16:00hrs . River had rose around 8". No Fish, never seen a fish and no pulls either.

Day 2 wind was terrible and blowing a hooly but the river had settled back down nice , few of the pools had shelter from the wind but only just. Anyway another day and no fish or pulls between us 3 rods and again not seeing a single salmon . We did learn that the ghillie from yesterdays beat got a fish as the beat was empty due to cancellations so he was fishing himself. Well done him.

Day 3 again upstream wind but there was spots where you were sheltered and were covering the water well . River perfect height and condition but again no fish hooked or seen. Left the beat at 16:00hrs as we had basically had enough.

Summary is we enjoyed being up in Speyside fishing wonderful stretches of water and being looked after by excellent Ghillies like Alec,Ian T, Dave. But i will be honest here and say the river does not have enough salmon running it to make salmon fishing enjoyable or have you believing at any point you will get that pull. You get back to the hotel and ask the others fishing and you find out between 9 of us fishing the beats that nobody had seen a fish or hooked anything. Totally demoralizing.

I recently wrote to a Scottish guide saying that certain beats that seem to be holding there own (Just catching enough) just now are beats like "Cargill and Islamouth" on the Tay and Pitlochry Dam on the Tummel and these beats are where fish gather in low water so the number of fish is higher than in beats where fish are just passing through and taking the odd breather. Fishing average priced beats IMO is becoming harder and harder to do as the fish are just not there in enough numbers to excite me and i am now at the point of drawing a line in the sand with flinging money at chasing fish which are not even there to be caught or if they are there you are talking about only an odd fish.

Between us 3 on fishing/hotel/food/drink/tips/shops/pub we spent over 2000 pound in 3 days . I think from now on i will be looking at brown trout breaks either in Ireland as i honestly think the salmon fishing is becoming severely overpriced for what is being sold to us.

Anyone feeling the same

The fish donít seem to hold down there in spring, end May onwards they seem to start catching them now
    Nice beats to fish but get pricey from now to end of season for the fish thatís caught these days

Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post
    The fish donít seem to hold down there in spring, end May onwards they seem to start catching them now
    Nice beats to fish but get pricey from now to end of season for the fish thatís caught these days
    Historically April and May in low water should produce good sport but IMHO there is extremely poor runs coming off each tide and full river yearly catch statistics prove this, no matter if the fish were running hard you would still be pecking away at them as runners if they were there in decent numbers. Anyway i read the Spey reports and they confirmed what i was seeing (Last 2 years Apr/May trips) with my own eyes and that was that there was no beats setting the heather on fire above us either and the runs are poor.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789