Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fishing the Dee

Thumbs up Fishing the Dee

Need help again .
    Fishing the Dee next week ,all week and will be rotating between Monaltreis Which I have never fished and Lower Invercald which I have , any help with pools and flies would be most helpful ,and I would be very grateful.
    Hidden Content " The best fly to use is the one you believe in"

I've fished here many, many times. The pools are good deep holding pools - indeed they are classic fly pools in every sense of the word. You may be a week or two early for the main runs of fish though.

The usual spring flies will be fine - black/yellow colours. WG tubes etc. Purple is popular on this beat in the spring. Size 5 & 7 at current water levels.

You'll also meet one of the nicest men on the Dee, Ian Murray. Follow his advice - a true gent whose focus is on getting his rods a fish.

As to the pools, where to begin If I was fishing I'd fish Monaltrie's pools first in the following order:

1. Garden Pool - an absolute must very deep pool
    2. Thorny (Big and Little) - fish lie off the large croy
    3. Bumble Bee - fish lie all the way along the barrier of wooden posts
    4. Mitchell's - the tail in front of the hut and just below the burn is a good spot
    5. Red Brae - below the fast pool head
    6. Tinkers (my favourite pool) - try a long-winged pattern in this pool
    7. Garage

Glashen and Kate may provide a fish. I also like the pools up round Ballater Golf Course - some good holding pools up there. The Minister's pool is one of Ian's favourites.

Good luck

Talking River Dee

Sloggi,
    Thanks for that mate, have spoken to Ian on the phone Cant wait hope we don get a thaw that would be a disaster. I hope we are not too early what about Lower Invercald any suggestions????
    Hidden Content " The best fly to use is the one you believe in"

Quote Originally Posted by NEPTUNE View Post
    hope we don get a thaw that would be a disaster.
    Actually, I don't think it would The river rises and drops very quickly up there. A bit of fresh water will bring the fish up.

I'd always choose to fish below Ballater Bridge but Ian likes the pools higher up. Up at Invercauld is fine but the pools need water. If I could remember their names I'd go through them for you There are a few by the campsite which are ok, and there is a really good bit upstream of the white suspension bridge. The pools below the lay-by are fine too. Don't worry, this will make sense when you get there.

There's a heck of a lot of water up there but, given the choice, and as noted above, I'd camp at the Garden Pool and fish this pool and well as the pools above and below so early in the season

A 15' rod will suffice with approx a float/S1 line. If low water, a floater with fast sink tip will be ok for most pools.