Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinnet

Default Dinnet

Will be fishing Dinnet mid-March for three days looking forward to it and keen to enjoy myself,any pointers to start off as to lines/sink rates/fly sizes/weights,only ever fished lower downstream dont imagine the river here will warrant wet2s/copper tubes,more sink tippy stuff and lightweight brass/alluminium.Or am I wrong as usual and getting ahead of myself.Yours keen to learn,Pedro.

Dinnet has a wide variety of pools (some small, some big, many shallow but some really deep) and fishes over a wide range of river heights. In March you could get anything from bank high with a big thaw down to low and clear if it freezes hard at night. So be prepared! Take full sinkers, sink tips and floater - you will probably be using sink tips (or intermediates if you prefer) mostly but a wet cel II is perfect in quite a few pools when the river gets over 2 feet.

The same goes for flies - heavier flies are effective in higher water but under typical conditions light brass and ally tubes will work fine.

There are too many pools to give you a complete guide, and the most productive pools change from year to year, but you will have an excellent chance wherever you are fishing. It is dreamy fly water throughout. You won't find a more knowledgable and helpful ghillie than Colin Espie (the Dee Castle ghillie) - so make the most of his advice.

I fully endorse yr comments about Colin - he knows every rock in his
    bit of the river and is a pleasure to fish with !

Default Report rfom Dinnet

Just returned from my little 3 day jaunt and I have to say enjoyed the experience and the beat tremendously as well as the words of wisdom and company of Colin and Euan.It took me at least 3 nano seconds to decide that this is/was one place I would love to return to sooner rather than later.
    As some of you said it really is a dreamy place to wet a line and swim a fly.Weather was on the cold side with a few blustery snow showers each day and water temp. only hit 42f on the Wednesday afternoon during a brief sunny spell, that aside water temp. was usually in the 38f region,river height 8ins dropping to 4ins over the three days.Heavy fleeces,thermal under shirts and neoprenes proved their worth.
    Unfortunately Salar was a little scarce on the ground,any activity only being noticed in the afternoons when the temp. rose(if only slightly),one fish fell to regular rod Gordon on Monday morning,that aside the beat went fishless.How did I get on? well Tues. afternoon whilst fishing Pol bar(excuse any spellings after all I am a tyke) saw a few fish start to show and shortly after had a slow steady hard pull while hand lining the fly along the currents edge,started to lift into the fish and--Gone,oh well.Using the grey matter for a change fished out the pool then went to the pool above,Haugh thinking I might get a second crack if indeed a few fish were running,which they possibly were as after four or so casts with the fly right down the middle had a good pull off the reel,then----Nowt,oh bu###r.That was it for the 3 days,fished mainly full floater with poly-tips to suit the pool/current with the odd throw with a multi-tip with the 30ft wet 2 tip in the deeper/faster pools.Fly sizes went from 10 to 6 doubles and wee Loop tubes from 1" up to 2 1/2" fished on Loop double hooks(coz my favourite Salar doubles looked too big on the tubes),which in hindsight could have cost me landing a fish as I have never landed a fish on these hooks yet,confidence in them is now quite low.
    Would I have changed owt,well yes-sack the Loop doubles firstly then perhaps tied slightly slimmer sparsly dressed flies due to the clarity of the river.Long haul to the next trip now,oh well just have to dream then. Cheers and tight lines,Pedro.

Interesting Rennie, I had virtually the same experience on Aboyne on Monday. Nice take in the bridge pool, stripped a couple of turns off the reel and then......nothing.

Was fishing a conehead on an intermediate tip with a Loop double. I've got a good supply of Salar doubles but for some reason have never tried them. Think I might now. If that doesn't work I'll just assume I'm a **** fisher

You do realise this will potentially start a new thread in defence of Loop doubles !!

Quote Originally Posted by barkingcollie View Post
    You do realise this will potentially start a new thread in defence of Loop doubles !!
    ...and here it is Had three Dee springers all landed on those superb Loop tube doubles

I guess it's just the way it goes sometimes

Thanks for the report. I was standing admiring the top Dinnet pool yesterday - the one directly below the end of Cambus O'May. It's on the bend, and is a very deep looking bit of water. Did you fish it? Looked smashing. Was tempted to have a sneaky cast

The next couple of weeks should see fish move into the area in larger numbers.

Yep, definitely asked for that one.

That's me confirmed as a **** fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by barkingcollie View Post
    That's me confirmed as a **** fisher.

Certainly not Sometimes the salmon just doesn't play ball

Pol slack(excuse the spelling sloggi) was the one and yes I did give it a real good going over.Used a Mid Spey with a 30ft wet 2 tip for the head and middle 0f the pool switching to the 30ft intermediate tip for the tail.Never saw a fin stir in here but the pool below(Haugh) produced a good run off the reel to a size 8 double on a floater and fast sink poly-tip.Pedro.

Good report Pedro, pity you didn't get one but theres always next year. Were you tempted over to the dark side with a shooting head stick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast