Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  87
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

IMHO Kincardine is a bit "overrodded" with 3 rods...…. it is more a 2 rods beat to me - if the water is not on the high side...…when 2 may fish Boat/Village Pool !
    At least the price now has come down to a more realistic level !!

Sure 2 rods in summer but we have comfortably fished 3 rods in spring several times.

I think one of the problems the Dee has, is not the amount of rods per beat,but the lack of fishers taking up the rods,a few days ago there were almost 400 rods available on the Dee for the second week in feb,and the beats above Aboyne bridge do not open until March.
    It looks like a few of the beats have dropped their prices,but unless there is a last minute surge on the uptakes with say the average price at £40 or £50 per rod per day that is a lot of money that the river is missing out on.
    No wonder ghillies are loosing their jobs.

FishPal -

FWIW I decided I'd probably not be fishing the Dee much in future a couple of years ago. I fished 3 days on Cairnton in May which was fantastic in terms of Ghillie, layout, history, pools etc but I thought it was very over rodded, especially so as it is single bank. You ended up fishing through in rotation which I personally dislike. Every pool is getting fished 2 or 3 times a session. For the cost, around £100 per day, it felt too much like association water. At least we weren't kept to 2 3.5 hour sessions a day like some of the Tweed beats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    IMHO Kincardine is a bit "overrodded" with 3 rods...…. it is more a 2 rods beat to me - if the water is not on the high side...…when 2 may fish Boat/Village Pool !
    At least the price now has come down to a more realistic level !!
    Agreed - the middle section has very limited fishing now. Top section can't stand too much water in early spring, Ok a bit later when water warms a bit. Agree also on the recent Cairnton reference - nice beat but defo overroded.
    In the moment, of the meantime.......

Just had a quick look on the Fishdee website as was planning a few days during March but seems to be pretty dire on the catches front? Possibly the Fishdee site is not a true reflection but appreciate if anyone can update me?
    Many thanks in advance.

Fraid it's quite accurate, 2 fish last week and that was before the high water put it out of sorts.....
    Truly expected something today, but still zero last time I looked. Spey is very quiet too.
    In the moment, of the meantime.......

Ive been watching also with thoughts of maybe grabbing a late booking with a pal, I am afraid there is nothing to inspire.

It's not wonderful to say the least. Not only is there a lack of fish, there's a distinct lack of rods on the river to catch what may be there.

I'm back out on Park on Tuesday, fingers crossed something will turn up.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I struggle to have too much sympathy with lack of rods when the Dee is happy to take your money on big water days or 40 mph wind days, but still says, sorry your permit is not to catch fish.

It's to cast a fly!
    I know it's the wrong conditions for the fly and the Devon would be much safer and efficient.
    But tough I've got your money.
    You spinning types are not welcome here.
    No matter how low the number of rods is or the returns, we would rather go bust than have your likes here.

Now it's a beautiful river, and better than most for the fly, but I've had a few days on it where the fly in my hands was just dangerous.

Hopefully one day they change,and there are rumours, but I doubt it.

It also doesn't help that locals were treated as an inconvenience when the Dee was in vogue with the rich Scandis.

Cheers

Mows

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast