Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dee in April :)

Default Dee in April :)

Hello all you Dee fishermen, need a bit of help here.
    Decided today that i will definitely be going to Aberdeen on easter week (week starting monday 5th april) to see my godmother. will be going for 3-4 days with my granny and obviously im not going over there without a couple of days fishing!
    i would want to fish both monday and tuesday or else tuesday and wednesday. there is some availability on for that week but im just wondering where would be my best bet for a fish? i dont want to break the bank either so value for money is important when choosing where to fish. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mick

Take your pick or keep looking

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Dee/...th.asp?dom=Dee

Good luck getting "prime" beats though you might be lucky.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Wink Try the Don.....

Mick,
    As a local myself, I know that finding reliable fishing on the Dee in April could be expensive even if there was availability. The Dee spring run patterns are extremely predictable, and as such to be in the wrong part of the river at a certain time of year is asking for a blank.....
    There's availabilty sure in the lower beats, because by April the fish will be scooting past you, and you only have the hope of intercepting a runner (unless of course we still have ice for another month....).
    Unless you intend spending in the region of 80 - 100 / day, it may well be that a private Don beat could offer a better prospect.
    I would suggest Castle Forbes for value and decent prospect of a springer - details on Fish Don website. Assuming it's available, my personal preference would be beat 3 or 4 if you prefer right bank, or the opposite 1 or 2 if you prefer left bank.
    Hope you get sorted out ok,
    Gordy

thanks boys, i think maybe a day on the dee and a day on castle forbes on the Don would be the best job. i definitely dont intend on spending 80-100 a day, definitely over budget for me.
    from looking at catch statistics for april it would definitely appear that some dee beats offer slim chance of a fish and others offer a great chance, unfortunately these are all booked up.
    is the spring fishing on the don good? is it a big river?

The Don can be decent enough on its day. There has not been a huge amount caught the past few springs but this is as much due to lack of anglers as it is fish. Its not a big river at Castle Forbes, a 12ft 6 double hander would be ample. If you fish Below Inverurie then a slightly longer rod may be of benefit.

A bonus of the Don is that if the Slamon are not playing ball then you have some of the finest trout in Europe to go and chase, so if you do decide to fish the Don then make sure you take a trout rod with you as well.

Michael. . I think you are being very sensible. I am afraid the prices on the Dee are a bitty too expensive for me too and I dont have as far to travel as you. I do believe the Don can be good. I have had a few fish on the stretch that has been recommended. perhaps it is a closely gaurded secret as its close neighbour claims all the accolades

Michael - Have a think about the Esks. Chance of a springer on Middle Kinnaird in April for about 40/day. Commutable from Aberdeen.

If you want better odds than "just a chance" then be prepared for 80 - 150/ day fishing Scottish rivers.

To use a good NI phrase - they are all "chancers"

Tenet

IF we get a thaw and IF temps rise remarkably wiil that not open up some of the "cheaper" mid to upper beats on the Dee up for Michael????????
    perhaps less chance but perhaps not. . . . . rod to fish ratio and all that.