Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Normal service resumes on the Dee.......

Very quiet in here, so just to state the obvious........I see 195 salmon recorded for the Dee last week, plus a fair sprinkling of sea-trout as well.......is the crisis that never really was now over........??

VC

Was fishing the ADAA beat of the Dee on Saturday morning and caught this Sea Trout.It ran off like a steam train and took me right down to the backing!It then came bombing back upstream and i could not reel the line in quick enough.After a few more smaller runs and a nice jump i managed to land it.
    Last edited by Craig; 07-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Nice trout well done. what weight was it im guessing around 3-4lbs as it took the backing out but i could be bigger but its hard to judge going by the pic.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work

Not really sure of the weight.About 4-4.5lbs maybe?Just had it out long enough for a quick pic and then returned it.

Nice fish no matter what the size
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work

Its good to see numbers increasing on the Dee, they have certainly led the way this week among the rivers who report, I wonder if the Spey bettered this figure?

However a bit of simple maths gives brings home the stark reality of how figures relate to rod effort required to land a fish.

There are 41 beats reporting via FishDee, some beats fish as few as 2 rods while some as many as 6 and one as many as 11. If each beat had an average of 3 rods fishing for the 6 days thats 738 rod days for 195 fish.

Almost 4 rods days to 1 fish and this is one of our better rivers at this time of year. Im sure many others fare far worse

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Its good to see numbers increasing on the Dee, they have certainly led the way this week among the rivers who report, I wonder if the Spey bettered this figure?

However a bit of simple maths gives brings home the stark reality of how figures relate to rod effort required to land a fish.

There are 41 beats reporting via FishDee, some beats fish as few as 2 rods while some as many as 6 and one as many as 11. If each beat had an average of 3 rods fishing for the 6 days thats 738 rod days for 195 fish.

Almost 4 rods days to 1 fish and this is one of our better rivers at this time of year. Im sure many others fare far worse
    Hi springer, i totally agree with you the catches these days would make my grandfather laugh, he used to catch more on his own!(96 seatrout off the earn in 1 wk, is 1 example), this was back in the 70's, still in my lifetime though!!,catches we can only dream of unfortunetly,!will we see catches like this again i wonder.

I think Springer has it spot on.

Some beats will be fished more by holidaymakers than serious dawn til dusk anglers and the weather has done the usual returns for early June on the river a bit of a favour being on the cooler side mornings and evenings towards the end of the week.

Might be a bit more to the idea than one or two well kent commentators on here have shared privately with me that June is becoming the new April on Deeside,especially value for money-wise.

Good to see a numbers of fish,mostly fresh,turning up at last.

ZH
    "O hielan' streams ah covet nain....................."

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Was fishing the ADAA beat of the Dee on Saturday morning and caught this Sea Trout.It ran off like a steam train and took me right down to the backing!It then came bombing back upstream and i could not reel the line in quick enough.After a few more smaller runs and a nice jump i managed to land it.
    Bonnie freshish troot,but 4 and a half lbs???
    If its over 2.5lb..I'll show my **** in Fenwicks window
    ZH seems to know the crack.is the spring run crisis now over?Seems to me its just a wee bit late if my local river is owt to go by.fish in most of the pools now but proving hard to tempt.
    Probably due to very low water conditions
    Throw the rod in after it.Hidden Content

Default Crisis???

The river Leven has just seen the best spring return for more than 15yrs with 50+ salmon for the month of May so there doesn't appear to be much of a crisis here........just late...The water conditions were perfect for most of the month and I think that's reflected in the catches..
    Pity the water is on the bones of it's a*se now..
    Some people think salmon fishing's a matter of life and death......
    But in reallity it's much more important than that....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast