Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Hardy Perfect

Default Hardy Perfect

Hello everyone,
    To obtain a more powerful brake on a Perfect;
    is it possible to engage the 2 tongues on the toothed wheel !!!
    <*[[[[[><

Not sure of the Hardy Christian, but I did similar on my first reel, a Shakespeare Beaulite.It certainly sounded well, like a double bagful of old rattly spanners!.
    However, there was double the inertia involved in getting the reel spinning in the first place!. Back in those days there weren't a lot of fish that came my way, but I soon reverted back to the single Pawl setting as it did little to strengthen the drag overall, just doubled the initial inertia!.
    Hope that helps.
    Pedro.

Thanks Pedro,
    So I'm going to stay like that, and limit the catch to 20 lbsoisson:
    <*[[[[[><

I would need to remove the spool in order to say for sure but I believe I have both pawls engaged on my reels. I will have a look when I return home.

What model /size perfect are we talking about? The easiest way to add more resistance to outgoing line with a fish running is to place a couple fingers against the back plate of the spool and apply pressure.

Are you using the reel on a 2 hand rod and if so what length? I ask this because I have found that the check of a 3 3/4" Taupo will handle many salmon and when the truly big one comes along I apply the fingers to the back of spool.

A few years ago I caught a fish much larger than expected (think in the 50 pound class) using a Taupo and an 11 1/2 foot Hardy swift rod. Generally I will use the perfect reels unless I know the fish will run over 30 pound.

Ard

It is the 4 1/4 it is used on a rod with 2 hands of 14'4 and 14'7
    Last edited by christian roulleau; 17-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    <*[[[[[><

Ha! En effet une question éternelle pour moi aussi!!!

I use 3 3/4 , 4'' and 4 1/4 '' Perfects and also their Dingley counterparts. I have them set for LH wind even tho' they were threaded and their pawls set for RH wind. So I have flipped over pawls and have found generally just one pawl engaged on the lager reels is sufficient. Both pawls can add some inertia/tension but as Rennie says they are just too noisy.
    I feel that the pawls are mostly to help control the entry and exit of line on and off the reel to prevent over-run. They keep the line 'in-place' until a fish turns away with your fly. As for controlling a fish ...no . For such ' breaking' use your hand. To control a fish off the reel alone buy a Tibor , Abel etc autres moulinets sont disponibles!

When you engage both pawls, you will get a stronger brake, but you will loose the difference between winding in line and letting a fish go; both pawls will work "against" each other then...