Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default whiteish corrosion on a wet Vintage Perfect

I am relatively new to fishing with pre war Hardy Perfects. This is my first summer fishing a 3 3/4 1930's vintage Perfect on my new Bob Clay Cane 12 footer. It has been wonderful and I have caught some lovely fish on them. Part of my success has been some great rainy weather during some of my time on Canadian rivers, but I've noticed that after a day in the rain my Perfect develops a powdery white corrosion. It comes off with a bit of rubbing with a soft cloth with a little bit of oil on it , but is there anything I can do to prevent this? Is there a better way to clean it? It can be quite time consuming cleaning the white stuff from little crevasses and around the engraved letters and such
    Best
    Artcaster

I'm not sure whether it is specific to rivers, but I too have experienced the "white stuff" on vintage reels after fishing in Canada. Usually it comes after the reel has gotten wet, and then left in that state overnight. It does clean off with a fresh water rinse and gentle rubbing to dry. To prevent it, I've used a product called Boeshield on the reels, sprayed on and excess wiped off, then it dries to a waxy finish. It's a bit hard to find but a good product.

This issue has been mentioned on several forums, so seems to be fairly common.

Boeshield , I'll look for it on the web. Were did you find it? What is it made for(probably not vintage fly reels!)

A photograph of the reel with or without the oxidation would be helpful but I have some thoughts. If this is only happening on certain rivers my first guess is a mild difference in Ph of those rivers causing oxidation of the leading if it has a leaded finish remaining at all. What you describe is some form of oxidation in all likelihood and the only way to protect against its occurrence is to seal the surface from moisture. You can use the product suggested as a film protection I would think. The only way to permanently guard against oxidation of metallic surfaces is to thoroughly clean and prep then seal with a clear UV resistant finish and I assume you don't want to go that route.

If you are not dunking the reel and the water is coming from rainfall I would suspect a Ph in the rain lower than 4.5 and that will be hard on bare metal surfaces but that's another whole issue.

If you have facebook then there was a post about a similar issue on the hardy tackle page in the last few days, the guys in the states had some stuff in a tube to coat the reels, hardy reels may know the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk