Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Greys QRS900 Cassette Reel

Anyone use one and are they any good? There’s some guff about having two different depth spools for different weights of line. Not really concerned about that only if the reel is reliable and problem-free?
    Last edited by John Keane; 16-06-2019 at 05:36 AM.

I guess this is what you call tumbleweed?

Don’t touch one with a bargepole! I tried mine out for the first time on Thursday and the little red switch that locks the cassette spool in place came undone after around 20 casts and left the spool rattling around in the cage. Fixed it and went back to fishing and it did the same again in no time flat! Massive design fault by Hardy/Greys and it’s going back.

I’ve managed to find a new Hardy Demon 9000 Cassette and have bought it. Mate has 2 and says the spool locking is “bombproof” so it’s a distinct step up for me in the reel department.

The old greys reels were fairly bomb proof but the quality seems poor on the newer ones, on the fairly cheap reel front the guideline favo and vision reels are spot on for the money.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    The old greys reels were fairly bomb proof but the quality seems poor on the newer ones, on the fairly cheap reel front the guideline favo and vision reels are spot on for the money.

They are indeed, esp the Vision Deep, but I want a cassette reel to house 4 shooting head/Skagit lines. Looking forward to getting my Demon in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    They are indeed, esp the Vision Deep, but I want a cassette reel to house 4 shooting head/Skagit lines. Looking forward to getting my Demon in a couple of days.
    I looked at the qrs when they first came out for the same reason as i wanted one for trout fishing due to cheap spools and the posibilty of using the same reel for a few rods. Ended up spotting an old greys gx on ebay going cheap with a few cassettes so went for that instead, maybe dodged a bullet.