Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool How we choose reels

I travel a lot with work and as I was waiting in an airport for another delayed plane I started thinking about the fly reels I have owned and why I keep some and not others. This is particularly true of salmon reels.
    For some reason there are some reels I have used which just leave me cold. They are perfectly adequate reels but I just did not like using them so moved them on. Itís not about weight or clicker sound as I like reels which have little noise and some which have a great noise. Maybe itís the quality of the reel or the look but whatever it is it effects which reels I use and keep.
    Does anyone else have this with reels or am I just odd.

It's only a minor point but I don't like reels that are without any form of check when winding in as I find they surreptitiously retrieve a little line with each cast & it can be difficult to fish a constant length of line whilst going down a pool.

I like the Cascapedia because it doesn't do this (mind you neither do my old Marquis reels), but some silent large arbor disc drags leave me constantly pulling extra line off to get back to the length I started with as they are simply too free running on the retrieve.

As I said, only a minor point, but it's enough to influence how I feel about some reels.

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    It's only a minor point but I don't like reels that are without any form of check when winding in as I find they surreptitiously retrieve a little line with each cast & it can be difficult to fish a constant length of line whilst going down a pool.

I like the Cascapedia because it doesn't do this (mind you neither do my old Marquis reels), but some silent large arbor disc drags leave me constantly pulling extra line off to get back to the length I started with as they are simply too free running on the retrieve.

As I said, only a minor point, but it's enough to influence how I feel about some reels.

Regards, Tyke.
    Aye these snowflakes and their silent disc drags
    Morphfly

Yes I do like my Hardy Perfect and it definitely doesnít accidentally bring line in. I do like my nautilus reels but as you say they have silent wind in which can hide the fact line gets reeled in. I have noticed this more casting singled handed than on double handed

Some months ago in another thread.

Ą... I like reels that donít turn in line bit by bit while casting ! Test the reels when loaded, big differences. The Original definitely do not, because itís the same resistance forward as it is backwards against overrun.
    And I like the ďbreakĒ on the spool side (Original for lighter and Control for heavier rods) to be not in need for changing hands on rod while fighting a fish...
    But we are all different and have different expectations.
    Some side views too, but hope that was a little help.
    Cheers
    Roland"
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Sometimes details may be a minor point but are deciding for fun and sometimes also for success.
    If wanted like that in a more modern, more silent version compared to click and pawl, Danielsson Original and Danielsson Control would be an option.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

As a very poor overhead caster, I usually shout a mighty oath when straining for distance - in the interests of fairness, I then address my System 2 with ďand you can shut the fóó up as well.Ē

It works for me, but (usual disclaimer).......
    Elibank

For me there is one route I take and that is I buy what I like.
    I just love the older reels as they have been made in a time when reels were made to last.
    I collect vintage reels from Hardy, Dingley, Farlow, Youngs to name a few.
    I also love the handmade Sweedish reels such as those from Mohlin and other small cottage industry makers.
    For me modern reels are fine but have no soul.
    Some people say the vintage reels are **** but it is these **** reels that fishermen of a bygone era landed fish we can only read about and dream of today.
    What we release today; we can fish for tomorrow!

Thanks for this. I tend to agree and some modern reels leave me cold and have no soul. That said the new Hardy Perfects are lovely reels and very well made. I think itís the quality of the engineering which gives me the feel good factor

QUOTE=WillowMan;1077959]For me there is one route I take and that is I buy what I like.
    I just love the older reels as they have been made in a time when reels were made to last.
    I also love the handmade Sweedish reels such as those from Mohlin and other small cottage industry makers.
    Some people say the vintage reels are **** but it is these **** reels that fishermen of a bygone era landed fish we can only read about and dream of today.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by WillowMan View Post
    For me there is one route I take and that is I buy what I like.
    Some people say the vintage reels are **** but it is these **** reels that fishermen of a bygone era landed fish we can only read about and dream of today.
    I love antique Hardy reels especially but they don't fit modern rods very well, the feet are nearly always too long!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast