Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Ballistic Vector XL

My Question:

I have purchased a new Ballistic Vector XL. My reel is the Konic 4 with jellspun backing of around 150 yards - Now there is no problem with using my shooting heads on this reel with plenty of room on the reel spool.

Now I have purchased the Vector with a total length of 130ft - 60ft of running line and the head being 70ft, now the spool is pretty full. To have a little more room on the spool how much backing can I get away with without having to buy a bigger reel?

Thank you in advance of replies.

Derek
    Please save me from the things I must have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    My Question:

I have purchased a new Ballistic Vector XL. My reel is the Konic 4 with jellspun backing of around 150 yards - Now there is no problem with using my shooting heads on this reel with plenty of room on the reel spool.

Now I have purchased the Vector with a total length of 130ft - 60ft of running line and the head being 70ft, now the spool is pretty full. To have a little more room on the spool how much backing can I get away with without having to buy a bigger reel?

Thank you in advance of replies.

Derek
    Hi Derek,

I only seen your post now.

You could simply remove some of the gel spun, approx 30 to 50 yds. You could also lose say 10 ft of the running line of the vector if you wanted as well as some of the gel spun backing.

Best to unload the reel, put the vector fly line on first, then the amount of backing over that to what is right for the reel, then pull all out and put it on again backing first of course.

Unless you are going to larger venues with decent size fish, usually 100 yds of backing is enough for most places. You also have the running line of the shooting head or the integrated running line of the Spey line with that.
    Last edited by minitube; 20-02-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha