Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default perfect shrimping rod

hi all,

what is the perfect shrimping rod to but please.

regards
    chris

If you can find one Daiwa made a great 12' worming /shriimping rod.then they made a rod called the dual catcher.a 12' rod that the handle turned round.to make a resonably decent fly rod.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Any decent barbel rod or stiffish Avon rod, you need some stiffness in the tip to set the hook, as unlike worm fishing the salmon will give you a pretty instant indication of when to strike and you need to strike back equally quickly.

If your river is not overgrown then a 12' rod is ideal giving you a chance to fish a high rod tip, while you gently bump a shrimp down stream, or control a float, keeping the maximum amount of line out of the water.... a rod with a 1.25 or 1.5lb test curve is about right.

Not wishing to disagree (as with all rods it's a matter of opinion) the Diawa dual catcher was supposed to convert to a worm rod and then to a fly rod by switching the bottom handle around, I've waggled one and it's more a worming rod than a shrimping rod, being a part time fly rod it's necessarily softer.

If you wanted to free line a shrimp with minimal weight on a small river then a lighter Avon rod with a 1lb test curve in 11ft, or take a look at carp stalking rods- I have a ten footer on a north western Kevlar blank which is nice for poking about small rivers.... but your distance is compromised by the lightness of the tackle, casts of less than 15 yards.

I've had only a few fish on shrimp, but it is an engaging and skilful method to employ, especially in low water. Andy Nicholson made a DVD in the 1990s called the Occasional salmon, its worth a look as it shows alternative methods to the fly which is a great watch.

i am wanting to float fish the shrimp in open water

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Anything like this will do the job:

Greys Prodigy TXL Specimen Rod | HarrisSportsmail.com

If you want to make it 'handier' then cut off four inches off the butt, between the reel seat and the bottom of the handle only needs to be as long as your elbow.

Why on earth manufacturers make spinning and course rods with handles so long that they impede back handed casting, shows how far divorced they are from the realities of fishing certain rivers.....boo to long cork. Most of my worming rods and spinning rods have felt the hacksaw.

The rods that I prefer seem to be 11ft Daiwa wilderness for prawning and spinning found this rod very good all rounder.
    I also use an old Daiwa Whisker 12ft 3 piece rarely used now I would never sell it as you never know when you will need it it is a lovely rod to use.
    I got a Greys McMartin 11ft on the forum this year, nice rod to use, first day out prawning 2 fish, so well tested, I love the short cork handle.

[QUOTE=chris1;922220]hi all,

what is the perfect shrimping rod

Get yourself a Harrison Torrix, 1lb3/4 tc 11ft 2pce, get it custom built, If you want to go the full hog, A rod you won't want or will never need to change,

[QUOTE=cayofisher;922525]
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
    hi all,

what is the perfect shrimping rod

Get yourself a Harrison Torrix, 1lb3/4 tc 11ft 2pce, get it custom built, If you want to go the full hog, A rod you won't want or will never need to change,
    how much are they

Mac Martin 11 ft

But as the guys have said plenty of good Avon rods out there.

Sewinfly..................
    Last edited by sewinfly; 02-11-2016 at 12:24 PM.

I would add the Hardy Marksman Spin 11 ft 15-40 to the list.
    Excellent rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast