Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default River Don trip Sept/Oct '08 report!!

It's a bit late, but better then never! The trip was 28/09 - 04/10 on the Upper Don/TAA water on the Deveron..

As with all of us, was keeping an eye on the river levels, and as is so often the case, the high pressure arrived just at the wrong time! Nay mind, it's all booked, so lets give it a crack, can't be harder then last year when the river was on it's bones!

1st day, optimism is high (as was the sun!), and the elder statesman of our party manages a beauty within an hour - a cracking kype'd cock of 10lbs +, returned....

Just prior to, and during, returning (he's not the captor, just the acting gillie!)..

Not to rest on his laurels, he heads to a part of a good pool that NOBODY fishes, and promptly pulls out a pair, within 10 mins of each other, both of about 4lbs. Interestingly, it was a cock and a hen, from the identical spot. The hen was taken first, and our theory was that disturbing his 'bit of fluff' riled the cock into taking! Probably not, but maybe??? Both returned to fight another day.

A move of pool and some lunch to see if the other 2 of us can get in on the action. The plan works, and my other buddy catches a nice 7.5lber, again returned. My next run down the pool, the pull comes in the same spot, and I'm in…...for about 5 secs and it's gone. B*&%^úr!

The fight (this time he is the captor!)….

About to be returned…

A very quiet afternoon follows, until about 5pm when mate number 2 scores again with a small grilse of about 4lbs. So, it's 3-2-0 at the end of day 1 - surely not one of those weeks for me??!

Team effort…

Day 2 and another beauty, at 10lbs, for mate number 2 to take it to 3-3-0. A real triumph this fish, as it was only an opportunist cast in a small washing pool type place. Often the way on small rivers, and nice to see. A quiet rest of day, and still no action for yours truly - just starting to get edgy!

The 2nd double of the week..

Day 3 and a day on the TAA waters on the Deveron. The weather was squally, and the fact no fish had been caught for 10 days didn’t bode well. We spread through the beat, and nowt was doing on the lovely upper section, or the lower ‘Flats’ section, although a couple of resident fish could be seen moving at the very top of the beat, which we were assured was the norm, and in no way meant they were catchable. Try telling my (very persistent) mate that! He cats and cast, and cast some more, eventually hooking and landing a lovely 9lb cock fish!! We just couldn’t believe a fish would take after that much effort and re-casting, but I suppose they say you learn something new every day, and so it was - fish do not get scared by excessive casting!!

The most deserved fish ever (& no. 4 for the week!)…?

Nothing more for us on the Deveron, although the river started to rise in the pm, and 3 further fish were landed on spinner by others fishing the beat. An interesting beat the TAA, although with running fish it would have probably fished much better. The score now 4-3-0….please not a blank week??

Day 4 and back on the Don – me sweaty palmed and still awaiting some fishy wares! A blustery, cold and squally day, and not a lot doing……until about 6pm, light fading, and an almighty pull in the quick water in the head of my favourite pool. The hen fish shot off like nothing I’ve ever had, was even aerobatic, and was finally landed a full 40 yards downstream. At 9lbs ish, was my best fish ever, and so welcome after 4 hard days. A quick photo, returned, and then back to the B&B to find a power cut! Well done to the chef for rustling up a good curry on the gas!

The most welcome fish ever??

So, scores now at 4-3-1, and 2 days to go, and heavy rain and wind battering the hotel.

Friday arrives and the river is out of sorts, so a slow day followed by a few beers. Here’s hoping the river drops for a final day bonanza……
    Saturday, and perfect water! Woo hoo! Virtually all of the pools on the 4.5 miles is fishable at this height, so the hardest decision is where to start? Me and mate 3 head for a pool I’ve hooked a fish in, but one we’ve never landed one in. Absolute bu66er to cast, but hopefully worth it. Nearing the end of the pool, and BANG! Perfect take, fight and land, and a lovely 6.5lb cock fish is quickly returned.

Nice wee cock fish….

Although it’s not about the catching, this was such a perfect fishing day, there must be more about. Strangely, it’s quiet day, until a mate of mine spots a fish head and tail in a very small, unassuming pool. He goes through…nothing, but the fish shows again. I’m trembling as I reach the spot. I go through and past the taking spot, and am just making the first pull in retrieving to recast, and there is resistance……off she goes! Now I’ve never caught a double before, and from the start I could tell this was my biggest ever. Sulking was the order of the day as she bored deep back to her lie! After 15 mins or so, she is landed, photo’d and returned. What a buzz – my first double at 10.75lbs, and making the score more respectable at 4-3-3!!

The fight….

The fish…

We travel around the rest of the day, and nothing is doing until later on, when mate 3 gets back in to a lovely 7lber to finish our trip.

Here she is….

A lovely trip had by all, as ever, and a stark lesson in patience and persistence in this game. Keep on plugging away and they will come. Just have faith! That wasn’t my thoughts on the Thursday morning I can tell you, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Hopefully next year will be as, if not more, exciting, and I have learnt to persist with fish that are showing in a pool, where I would formally dismiss them as non-takers.

It’s a great game this, and I am already eager for next season….

Oscar
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-12-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Thumbs up

Great report oscar, you had a good week in the end! well done on the 10lber.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    it was a cock and a hen, from the identical spot. The hen was taken first, and our theory was that disturbing his 'bit of fluff' riled the cock into taking! Probably not, but maybe???
    I have known this to happen and have seen it on more than one occasion on the moyola. Its a definite thing that this is why the second fish took, when i have seen it, it was the hen fish caught first aswell

great pics oscar

looks like a fun time was had by all.

fantastic oscar, sounds like a great week

scotty.

Great report & pictures

What beat was that on the Don?
    Tomorrow is another day, so is the next

Smile

great report m8 and pics , a great week was had by all . iknow the feelings you had at start of week many times myself on fishing holidays my partners go of will a run of fish and im left saying 2 my self [no again] but usually it evens itself over the week [usualy] but also i tend to find on the odd occasion i get fish the 1st few days i usualy find out i go through a lull for the next couple and the u start doubting youself again but it comes good again . well done on your big fish . i hope u got the same week booked for next year .... l2f

what flies did yous catch them on great pics

Excellent report and some good pics in too, sounds like a great trip
    salmonfishing forum.com

one of the best reports we have had in ages, thanks for sharing
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

An Upper Don beat. Afraid I am sworn to secrecy Greenalert!!

Oscar

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast