Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Success on the Deveron

Dear Brothers of the Angle,
    A few pics to share with you showing a successful, but more importantly, a very enjoyable afternoon's fly fishing on the Muiresk beat of the Deveron.

This is a three rod, fly only beat which has over the last twelve years has graciously never allowed our party to blank. Water conditions were excellent and holding steady at +3 for the first half of the week. This allowed us all to take fish but then the heavens opened on Wednesday and the gauge showed +6 foot come Friday morning. As we stared up the Willows pool from the fishing hut disappointment began to set in. Neil the gillie of course knew better and told us that a quick enough drop in water levels might allow a cast on the final Saturday........we held our breath.

A welcome call from the gillie came on Saturday morning advising us that the river had indeed dropped overnight and was now showing 1 foot 10 - big but certainly fishable. Whinstream and I rallied and tore up the Banff road towards Turriff.

My set-up was a S1/S2 shooting head with an ultra-fast sink 10ft poly leader, around 6ft of 15lb flouro with a large Frodin Octopussy. Whinstream was using a fast intermediate with 10ft fast sink poly leader and 15lb fluoro terminating in what is now lovingly called a Yellow Bog Brush. A large tube dressed in garish yellow and red with Frances style feelers at the rear and a big heavy cone at the head.

Pic 1 Tail of Willows Pool showing water well over the banks and thundering through. Nothing for it but blether in the hut and wish the salmon a safe journey.

Pic 2 Arrival at same pool 24 hours later. Note the level now well below the tree. We concentrated on known resting spots in high water. Day was grey, cold and windy but we were raring to go.

Pic 3 First fish of the day to the Octopussy. A lovely, if somewhat coloured hen fish taken a few minutes after Whinstream had lost a fish. The fish were there and running hard.

Pic 4 Into a fish in the Boat Pool. This pool had so far never yielded a fish to us but that was soon to change as Whinstream swam the Bog Brush through the very fishy tail of the pool.

Pic 5 Whinstream's cracking fish from the Boat pool. Again another hen fish. There were lots of big hens this year off the beat. Lets hope this is repeated in further years as more of these great fish are returned to spawn.

Pic 6 My second fish from the Willows Pool and third for that day. This was one of those days that could so easily have been missed. Fish continually showed all the time we were fishing. As well as landing and returning four fish we also had numerous plucks and knocks. Reels spun and lines tightened for a split second only go slack again. A great day indeed and roll on 2009.

Thanks for sharing, Eminem.

Well done eminem, great post
    makes me jealous after our poor fortune in Sept when we arrived on deveron to find her in the middle of the only dry spell of the year
    Maybe next year

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by gotoneon View Post
    Well done eminem, great post
    makes me jealous after our poor fortune in Sept when we arrived on deveron to find her in the middle of the only dry spell of the year
    Maybe next year
    No mention of the baseball caps then G1O?

Eminem, what a good day, thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting that ,will not be saying too high and too coloured next year,looks like I may have missed a few chances on my week ,just after you fished ,as you say roll on next season !
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)

superb report there mark. and some fine looking fish

although , i could draw better looking mannies

Excellent pix/report - oh, I can't wait for the new season

Thanks gents.

Ross - will book myself in for a wee nip/tuck and some botox for next season's photo opportunities
    ACW - will gladly divulge the "taking spots" we covered to get these fish. Just drop me a line if required.
    Sloggi - calm yourself and take deep breaths.
    All the best, Eminem.
    Last edited by Eminem; 19-11-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    No mention of the baseball caps then G1O?

Eminem, what a good day, thanks for posting.

point taken Seeking.
    What a great day they had though.....magic stuff