Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Father and son last fishing day of 2008

Hi folks thought I would share my last fishing day of 2008 with you.
    I was fishing my local river with my old man after heavy rain for the last few days.
    The water was about 1ft 6in above summer height and clearing nicely.
    I was set up with my single hander with a floating line and wee sink tip with a 1 inch brass pbp, to get down a wee bit.
    My dad was using a tiny rapala (smaller than my fly!)
    Now I was looking foreward to today because I still have not been present for my dad landing a salmon
    (I was working when he got the 26lb er!)

We set off into the teeth of an almighty gale and struggled even to walk into the wind let alone cast.

After arriving at a favourite pool we started to fish with my dad at the run at the pool head and me at the tail.
    The pool looked more like loch lomond with the size of the waves rolling up it.
    So there I am thinking to myself "This is crazy" when the line tightened with the unmistakable pull of a salmon.
    I played what I thought was a very small fish for a few minutes, placed the net in the water ready, drew the fish to the net, and then it went nuts. tearing off around the pool. "not so small after all" I.m thinking.
    Anyway about 15min later the fish was in the net a coloured hen around 15lbs. I quickly unhooked it and returned it to the water.
    We fished on for a few hours and I lost another nice fish further downstream, my dad however hadn't had a touch.
    Winbeaten we headed upstream to the car me slagging my dad for not catching again and the triumph of fly over lure!
    We were almost at the car when I suggested he tried a cast or 2 under a big tree in a likely looking pot of water between runs.
    he grudgingly climbed over the fence and cast perfectly under said tree, paid out a bit of line and started his retrieve, 3 or 4 turns of the reel and BANG! what a take. FISH ON!.
    I could see the fish from my vantage point and could see it was not very big and quite coloured so I told him to play it hard, 2 min later a lovely wee hen of around 5lbs was in the net.
    Again quickly unhooked and returned.
    So our last fishing day ended in triumph for us and I finally got to slip the net under a salmon for my dad.
    If you haven't fallen asleep by now here are a few wee pics of our fish to round of a tale of a very windy but happy day on an ayrshire riverbank.

Last edited by ballingall512; 10-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Well done to the both of youbja
    EVERY CHANCE OF A FISH IF THEY ARE THEREHidden Content

Good way to end the season and thanks for sharing

Nice to see you both had success. Fishing with my father was a privelidge I never had, treasure every oppourtunity.

Nice to see you both

My best fishing partners are my father and brother.

Enjoy

great way to end the season, well done
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Good to see some late season success in a report, well done to you both. Your Dad wins the most original fishing headgear of 2008 award the "wear the fox hat" Cracker !
    salmonfishing forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Good to see some late season success in a report, well done to you both. Your Dad wins the most original fishing headgear of 2008 award the "wear the fox hat" Cracker !

The russians have been trying to inlist him for years...
    looks like they finally managed

Well done Dave to you and your old boy. Now if I could get another one before the seaons end, I'd be happy.

Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast