Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owenkillew

Default Owenkillew

Last trip of my first salmon season. Total for the year, no salmon, a couple of sea trout and countless aggressive NW brownies.

All packed and read to go:

Nice first glimpse of the Owenkillew on the way down the field from the wee abbey to the Meetings of the Glenelly and Owenkillew. This photo was taken later in the day though, but you get the idea

Some photos of the Meetings from the sand bank.

A most fishy wee run, think it may be known locally as 'The Pots', drops off to 16 feet at the far bank and a right fishy looking lie.

No idea the names, but lovely fly water.

I walked down the river for a mile or two to an old weir, passed some tricky water with difficult access, but couldn't resist swimming the flies down.

Walking back to the top for another run down before home.

So that's the start of a dangerous obsession, the first season has taken me from the Upper Bann, to Glenmore on the Finn, Strabane/Sion Mills on the Mourne, Glenelly, Owenkillew and Strule.
    A complete set of Ordnance Survey maps have been purchased, and the more you look at them the more you realise how much water there is in our wee neck of the woods.
    Don't tell too many people either, except for Glenmore the days have been no more than 20, and some considerably less.
    Last edited by andyjaffs; 19-10-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

great photos, looks good water

That pool with the sandy bank looks superb

Looking at the pool with the sandy bank, I see someone else uses the Acme Mark 1 river level measuring device.

An essential piece of tackle if ever I saw one.

brilliant photos andy. thanks for putting them up. i hear it used to be a great river for sea trout but not as good now! same as salmon and seatrout fishing everywhere i suppose

some great photos Andy, looks like a lovely stretch of water

as they say till next year then
    Last edited by easky; 18-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

I love the third picture down, it sums up what salmon fishing meant to me when i was a kid, hard tae beat!

Where is this river at in northern ireland, does it have a good run of fish?

its in the NW of N Ireland and is part of the Foyle system. Its a very under rated system which gets good runs of fish, well in a 'normal' season anyway!
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Thanks for the comments, hurricane it does still get a good run of fish, the fact I caught nothing should not be an indicator of quality

I met a few folk with many tales to tell, the interesting thing was that many of these tales were not from the too distant past, and some from this season.
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

Hey Andy

Is that section of the river run by Omagh Anglers? I fished a bit futher down stream there last year. Never tried it there this year. Its nice water, but I only caught brownies..
    Last edited by Patrick; 19-10-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast