Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Sea trout fishing in Denmark

Fishing for salmon in rivers is second to none but fly fishing for sea trout on the coast is quite special as well. These pictures are from an afternoon trip to the coast in Denmark a couple of weeks ago. I only caught a small trout which was released again but as you can tell I could not have asked for better weather or scenary.

This spot is only about 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Copenhagen!

What is a typical size sea trout out there?

What tactics / flies do you use ?

Default Tactics on flyfishing on the coast

Sorry for the late reply but have not been visiting the site for a while due to some travelling (some also including a bit of fishing in Sweden – see later post with pix from Mörrum).

In Denmark fishing for sea trout along the coast is very popular as we have about 600 km of coast line. Fly-fishing is becoming more and more popular and very often you catch the trout only a few yards out while standing on the beach. You do, however, want to wear chest waders as many places you need to wade – if not to reach far then at least to be able to get your loose line clear of the sea wheat, sand and rocks when casting.

You want to use a single handed rod preferably with a shooting head as that will give you more distance. I use a 9 foot # 7-8 or 8-9 depending on wind conditions. I have caught sea trout on all kinds of flies but mainly size 10 – 6. Popular patterns are shrimp imitations or similar, but usually I do not find the sea trout picky, so basically I think any fly presented at the right spot at the right time will do.

You need a fishing licence which can be bought at any post office or on
    https://www.fisketegn.dk/fisketegn/c...ntPageShow.jsp which also has an English version.

It is quite cheap and will cost you about € 13 for a week and € 17 for a full year. The entire coast is public area so basically you are allowed to fish the entire coast. In areas with lots of summer houses parking might be a challenge but then again that will often be in places with good sandy beaches which is not where you want to look for sea trout. What you want is a beach with sea wheat and rocky bottom. The best time is April/May and September but I fish all year round and catch fish throughout the year. During summer (June – August) you will often have the best fishing early in the morning or late in the evening and at night, when the sea trout come close to the coast to feed. Quote often you will see fish break the surface close the coast in search for shrimps and small fish. ´

It is important, though, to remember that fishing for sea trout is like any other kind of fishing – sometimes you hit the right time and spot and catch several fish and sometimes you do not see any signs of fish at all. I know a lot of "hot spot" but often return without any fish.

During summer you want to fish on the open coasts whereas during winter (October – March) you will often find the fish in the more shallow and warmer waters in the many fjords.

Danish sea trout caught on the coast are often between 2 – 6 lbs but you could also run into much bigger fish (10 – 14 lbs are caught occationally but they are often caught trolling at deeper water). My largest sea trout caught on fly was 9 lbs.

In some places you might also run into a rainbow trout which has escaped one of the "sea farms". If they have been in the sea for a while they are quite fit and will give you a great fight!

It is important to know that there is a "no-fish-zone" stretching 500 metres (547 yeards) on each side of strsams/rivers running into the sea if the stream/river is more than 2 metres 2.2 yeards) wide. If less than that the "no-fish-zone" is in force during 15th September to 15th March which is the primary time when sea trout enter the steams/rives to spawn. Unfortunately the "no-fish-zones" are not marked, which is a problem, so the best is to ask at any local fishing tackle shop. You will always find someone there who speaks English and I am sure they will also help you out with advice on good local fishing spots.

All sea trout smaller than 40 cm (15.7 inch) have to be released carefully.

I have found a couple of web-sites in English with introductions to the fishing. If any of you plan to try the sea trout fishing in Denmark you are welcome to drop me a mail and let me know which part of the country you plan to visit. I will then do my best to give you some advice on the local "hot spots".

http://www.seatrout.dk/

http://www.nwalesflyfishingschool.co..._denmark.shtml

Sorry for the lengthy thread but what your heart is full of .........

Danisflyfisher