Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default River Maine Dolloghan

A nice 12lbs Dolloghan caught and released recently on the River Maine by fellow angler Mr Richard Semple, County Antrim. This fish took an Apachie shrimp fly after which an epic 25 minute 'battle' ensued. The fish was safely returned.

What a fantastic looking fish. Well done. I take it their more a member of the trout than a seatrout?

lovely fish! well done to him and fairplay to him putting the fish back too, the river will be well helped by a good fish like this one spawning..more big fish for future years! the dollaghan is a great fish, our club gets a lot of big fish when electrofishing. i think they are a class fish and really brilliant looking fish too, the best description i ever heard of a dollaghan was they are a bit ignorant looking! interesting that he was caught during the day, im sure he thought it was a good salmon til he seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    What a fantastic looking fish. Well done. I take it their more a member of the trout than a seatrout?
    they are a lough neagh trout that run the rivers flowing into the lough. its almost like an inland sea and the fish can reach very big sizes(as you can see in salamanders picture) they are similar to seatrout aswell in the way they can be caught and their behaviour. night fishing is a great way to catch them.

Lough Neagh is the biggest stretch of inland water in the United Kingdom and the third largest in Europe. The 'Dolloghan' to describe it simply, is a lake-dwelling brown-trout but a very unique species. It runs the feeder-rivers from June onwards to spawn. They can grow up to 20lbs weight but most of the double-figure fish are now rare, (exploitation, etc etc...) They behave very much like sea-trout and are excellent sport on a pitch-black night with a sunk-line and a slow retrieve. Most of our catches on the Lower Maine at Shanes are caught as a 'by-product' of salmon angling. However I'd rather have a Dolloghan than a grilse, especially one this size. In heavy water they can be taken on the copper spoon or a mepp.

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    However I'd rather have a Dolloghan than a grilse, especially one this size.
    i agree there, they are a great fish. great fighting and if theres a bad salmon year they make up for it with the sport you get from them. even the smaller ones are great craic. i used to get a good amount of them in streamy water on a mepp when i was younger.

LOVLEY FISH! Glad to see you put it back!

IMHO no dolloghan should be killed, far far to precious!

Good on you mate!

Beautiful fish, well done that man.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane View Post
    LOVLEY FISH! Glad to see you put it back!

IMHO no dolloghan should be killed, far far to precious!

Good on you mate!
    i agree and wouldnt kill one myself although there is a good sustainable amount of them running lough neaghs rivers at present and id be more for the catch and release of salmon on our rivers as they are fewer than the dollaghan, (although the moyola would be more of a salmon river, really good dollaghan river too, i just think its a great river fullstop.) the salmon are more vulnerable also as the dollaghan grow quicker in the river before heading to the lough and therefore survive better, they are a very hardy, wild fish. having said that i would love to see the sustainable amount stay that way for good and not be abused. I would also hate to see a big dollaghan killed and i think anything from 3lb up should be released, unless of course they are bleeding badly or if it was the anglers first one. the fish of around 1-2lb are plentiful and great sport and if someone wanted one for the table then i wouldnt argue with them, in moderation of course and most people respect this, on our river anyway. i hope we dont make the same mistakes with them as has been done with salmon over the years. they are a very rare, special fish that deserves protection and if we can get fish like this one and alot of good fish then it is something we need to look after for the future.

Richards technique of 3 size 2 Shrimp Flies on a DI7 line, worked really well this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast