Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mourne & Finn

Default Mourne & Finn

A few snaps from a trip to the Finn at the weekend. We had intended to fish the Brookeborough water on the Mourne on Sunday, but the water was too high.
    This was the Mourne when we stopped at Sion on the way up.

This was above the weir.

We made it up to the Finn where the water was very high, 5 feet at Ivy Bridge. We had Ivy Bridge beat booked, but it was a washout.

Headed up the Reelin and fished the flats. First cast a fish swirled at the fly and I got a pull.
    Fished down for about a mile, my mate got a sea trout and we both hit a few brownies which hammered the flies.

The Reelin is about 20 feet across at the section we were fishing, there was a rock in the middle, I cast over it with the line over the rock. The line did not move so I lifted to recast and the line was solid. Thinking it was caught on the rock I started retrieving line and walked towards the rock, only for the rod to lunge forward twice. This was soon followed by splashing behind the rock. My mate saw the splashing and shouted down, by the time I answered the fish was gone.

On the Sunday we fished the graveyard in the morning on a shared rod as there was not enough availability. Plenty of fish moving through, but no joy except for one sea trout. Sharing a rod was a nuisance, so after breakfast at Glemore we were lucky to be donated a ticket by a fellow angler who had 3 grilse and 4 sea trout between 5am and 10.30 am.

We fished down from Bonners to Annich bridge, caught two sea trout, including one on a muddler. My mate had 1 sea trout. Unfortunately 5 hours on that stretch is not enough to cover a quarter of it and we had to leave some great pools to get my mate to the airport on time.

Anyway, the fish were there and here are some snaps from the Finn both around the Sanctuary, Salmon Leap, Graveyard and above Ivy Bridge.

some great pixs, water looks perfect in the photos, just a pity you couldn't fish longer as I would say you would have had a good chance. Still there is always next time
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

That's true
    Next time I will get up earlier
    7am start was a lie in on the Finn I've been told.
    Last edited by andyjaffs; 04-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjaffs View Post
    That's true
    Next time I will get up earlier
    7am start was a lie in on the Finn I've been told.
    7am start is a lie in on any river

great pics and the finn looked in great order

The leap is a great place to see fish did you see any running the falls when you where there?
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

No we didn't see any, we only spent 15 mins watching. The water was so powerful, I'd have been amazed to see any trying it.
    One of the old boys we met told us about a local man who had a wee jack russel that used to perch on the rocks and catch the sea trout that slipped back down. I'm on the lookout for one of those dogs if you know of any

never heard that one before lol

but yeah might need a dog like that myself if things keep going the way they are for me right now lol

Its an amazing river in full flow is the Finn then again arent they all
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit