Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: currane 08

Default currane 08

On saturday the 12th of july me and my uncle left our home in wicklow for lough currane co kerry

we left at five in the morn and were fishing at eleven our gillie brought us to a good drift and we were in for a two hour bonanza six sea trout before 1 oclock lunchtime five of which fell to my rod
    it became quiet after lunch and i had one more small sea trout.At about three oclock we saw a family of mink crossing the lough so the gillie told us to reel in we rowed along side the family and proceeded to lenghten the line we threw a lovely line in tandem in front of the mink struck and we were into two lovely nink of about 3 pound apiece both taking the red arsed green peter we landed and dispatched with them

.we called it a day at five(as we were wrecked from the drive) we went out for a lovely dinner and took refuge until 12:30 in the local pub. Then it was up at half five the next morning to fish butlers pool strech of river at a couple of hunred meters long it joins the sea to the lake. i started 100 meters above the sea in the bottom pool an within ten casts bang!
    a lovely five pound grilse covered in lice

so my unlucky uncle fished the pool he was in came down to the bottom tried where i had my fish and i went up to where he was and 2/3 of the way down the reel sang again another lovely sea liced 5lber hokked opposite my uncle in the current
    we were off the beat at half ten and had breakie at the b and b and were on the way home it was a tough drive but i think it was worth it with the added bonus of piping my good uncle but i will be honest its the first time its happened. atb ryan

Thumbs up

well done ryan looks a nice place to fish water looked to be dropping you know me i dolike the extra bonus for the mink were you using your one fly the one u gave me ?

no on the gold body willie gunn and im tellin the truth this time

Loooks a fun few days ,love Waterville superb buzz to the place trust yoou spent your drinking time in the Lobster ,have had some wild nights there with the local mafia aka O'sullivans ,not qite the bar it was twenty years ago ,but what is .
    Who did you have a ghillie ???
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)

vincent is a sound chap if hs the osullivan you are refering to i had dom mcgillicudy as a ghillie

sounds like a great couple of days Ryan, lovely plump looking grilse that I am sure put up a good fight some nice pixs as well, a good photographer as well as fisher
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

We were in Currane around the middle of June and it was very quiet - maybe next year we'll go in July instead!! How do you go about getting on the Butler Pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee shrimp View Post
    We were in Currane around the middle of June and it was very quiet - maybe next year we'll go in July instead!! How do you go about getting on the Butler Pool?
    For info on the butlers pool ask in the Lobster Bar ,Micheal Osullivan will put you right ,or Brod or Vince or Bob Preistley or Junior Scully all great ghillies !
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)