Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Coloured deep hooked Salmon?

A bit of a controversial first post, but it is a subject that is bothering me. I am an experienced fly angler and am keen on all areas of angling. I am relatively new to Salmon fishing and have been keen to catch my first fish.

After days of fishing for salmon with fly and spinner I eventually took my first fish while spinning in near unfishable spate conditions on Sunday using a flying c. I wanted to return the Salmon but crawled down the steep bank and realised the fish was deeply hooked and as the river was in spate and there was no where safe to stand I needed to take the fish up the bank. I eventually realised that after the hard fight in the conditions and the mini opp needed to remove the deep hook, which did some damage to the gills, which the fish was unlikely to recover from…so disappointingly the fish was killed and will be returning from the smokery today.

I am a little upset as the fish was 8lb 6oz, and the local anglers try release most fish over 8lb and fish with any colour, although I was on my own water I aim to keep to these agreements. What I ask is should I have returned the fish and was it too coloured to keep even though it was near dead?
    Attached Images Attached Images small-image-jpg small-pic-2-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by charles389s View Post
    A bit of a controversial first post, but it is a subject that is bothering me. I am an experienced fly angler and am keen on all areas of angling. I am relatively new to Salmon fishing and have been keen to catch my first fish.

After days of fishing for salmon with fly and spinner I eventually took my first fish while spinning in near unfishable spate conditions on Sunday using a flying c. I wanted to return the Salmon but crawled down the steep bank and realised the fish was deeply hooked and as the river was in spate and there was no where safe to stand I needed to take the fish up the bank. I eventually realised that after the hard fight in the conditions and the mini opp needed to remove the deep hook, which did some damage to the gills, which the fish was unlikely to recover from…so disappointingly the fish was killed and will be returning from the smokery today.

I am a little upset as the fish was 8lb 6oz, and the local anglers try release most fish over 8lb and fish with any colour, although I was on my own water I aim to keep to these agreements. What I ask is should I have returned the fish and was it too coloured to keep even though it was near dead?

If the fishery rules allow you to keep a fish, then, in my opinion, you'd be mad to return your first fish!! true, this fish is a little dark, but Ive seen a hell of a lot worse. If the fish was deep hooked, it would have been inhumane to return it. Well done on your first fish!!

Default Dont worry

Its a shame that a fish of that colour was killed but considering your story I don’t think you had much of a choice. If the fish is hooked and bleeding from the gills I would expect it to die so despatching it is the right and humane thing to do.

Considering you have had it smoked and intend to put it to good use then I think there are few who would condemn you.

Welcome to the forum by the way

I understand your prediciment it can be distressing killing a fish one wishes to release. I've had a small handfull of fish over the years which I had to kill due to deep hooking/bad bleeding, some coloured like yours, i just got them away from the River quickly due to embarresment even though it wasn't my fault, most of these have been taken on Fly 'C's but ive had a couple on fly (ED Trebles)

Goining off its colour & as its a hen, Its certainly a fish I would have returned had it been returnable. But if it was close to death, I don't think there are any benifits from returning it, watching it keel over, float downstream upside down and die slowly in a mist of red water.

That said, over the years ive seen fish much more coloured fish than that purposly killed, mainly on some of the smaller spate rivers at the back end. i suppose at the back end, post grilse run, the odd killed coloured fish won't have a huge impact on stocks but as you caught this fish early July and judging by its colour in the photos I'd say its a Spring fish which makes knocking it even more saddening. Its just a sad aspect of our sport. Thankfully somthing that doesn't happen too often.

Thank you for the quick replies chaps. I still feel a little guilty as I know that all related to the river are trying all they can to improve the fishery and a fish such as this is crucial to our stocks. Although…I am still on an abnormal high from catching my first Salmon. It’s a feeling I haven’t experienced since Christmas when I was a small boy…I am well and truly hooked. It’s a better feeling than my first or biggest of a species, or backing a winning outsider on a classic horse race. Is there a way I can modify my flying c’s to prevent this happening again. I only use single and double hooks on my flies as I have been advised that this can reduce deep hooked fish.

Deep hooking of fish will always happen, and I think it's true to say that it's a particular problem with flying C's - they tend to swallow them deep. I would regard it as a worse moral crime to throw a fish back in the almost certain knowledge that it would end up a food for eels or gulls, than to take it and put it to good use. Remember also that we're only in early July, so it will still have been quite a few months away from spawning, and although quite coloured, will in fact be in much better condition than a fish of similar colour caught in September or October.

I think I've raised this before here, but I'm interested in the possibility of using flying C's with single hooks. Although a single in the gills is just as damaging as a treble, I do think trebles increase mortality significantly, which is why they are banned or discouraged on flies under a C&R regime. I haven't used trebles on flies, either ED-types or on tubes, for some years, but haven't tackled the problem of spinning (not that I do much). I do know that in the US people re-rig spoons and mepps-type spinners with singles, but haven't come across it over here. Does anyone have any experience of it?
    Last edited by charlieH; 09-07-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charles389s View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies chaps. I still feel a little guilty as I know that all related to the river are trying all they can to improve the fishery and a fish such as this is crucial to our stocks. Although…I am still on an abnormal high from catching my first Salmon. It’s a feeling I haven’t experienced since Christmas when I was a small boy…I am well and truly hooked. It’s a better feeling than my first or biggest of a species, or backing a winning outsider on a classic horse race. Is there a way I can modify my flying c’s to prevent this happening again. I only use single and double hooks on my flies as I have been advised that this can reduce deep hooked fish.

I wouldnt feel too bad about killing your first fish, your mindset as far as C&R is obviously there, and I'm sure the bast majority of your fish will go back We all deep hook fish from time to time, it's just a risk of the sport. you could de-barb your hooks to allow for easier unhooking, but there's not really anything else that works, imo.

The problem was that the fish didn't mess around it really nailed the spinner, with most of it in its mouth. I would have been less upset if it was a smaller fresh fish. I was hoping that it was the begginning of a great fishing week. As the level was perfect this morning and would have been fine till the weekend... I did manage to fish from 5am till 7 today when the level was rising at my feet so I retreated for breakfast I checked the levell on the gauging station webcam when i got back it was just above 60cm , now its dissapeared as it only goes to 130cm. So I think my plans are over... so at least I had one this week.

As has been said, I wouldn't worry With your feelings towards the importance of C&R which come across in your posts I'd suggest you leave it and move on. Enjoy sharing the smoked salmon

Regarding Flying Cs and large treble hooks, it is a hazard that these are often taken deep by salmon - some flies, for example, Pot Bellied pigs, can be taken in similar fashion although the hooks are generally smaller. What I do is snip off at least one of the hook points and de-barb the other/s. I carry a long pair of long-nosed pliers and, so far, have not had any problems.

I can hear the outcrys heading this way - but I never fish with three hook points on a treble, and fishing three hook points should be banned

wouldnt worry

seen more sinister people than you do far worse things at the back end of the year on purpose

this couldnt be helped

let the next one go if you feel you have to balance things out

but keep fishing
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast