Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Hot stuff Stjoerdal, Norway 2007

Sorry to bother you with a couple of more pictures but thought I would share these from Stjoerdal River in Norway last year . I think one of the benefits of this site is the possibility to see pictures of great places other fishermen visit and to get inspiration for the next fishing trip. Thats how I ended up fishing River Dee in May this year which I truely enjoyed.
    I fished for 7 days in Stjordal River with clear blue skies and temp of 28 C/82 F. The managar of the camp I stayed at probably felt sorry for me as I was one of the few still fishing in the heat. He therefore suggested that I fished his private beat "Smuthullet" at what the Norwegians call "halv fiske", which means that you fish for free but share anything you catch with the owner. Needless to say that he did not have to share anything with me except for his lovely beat (but I eventually managed to catch a 7 lbs licer on another beat at 4 am on the last day).
    Anyway, as you can tell "Smuthullet" is a lovely beat where you have to cross the river by boat. The main pool is very deep and is often fished with worms and they catch several fish between 20 - 30 lbs and bigger. Probably you do not have much chance with fly-fishing - but the scenery was great and that is worth a lot!

Stjoerdal River is a great fly-fishing river just north of Trondheim and you can buy fishing permits on a daily, - 3-day or weekly basis for the Stjoerdal fishing association water (about 30 different beats throughout the river) at very reasonable prices (about 40 - 50/day). You can fly to the airport of Trondheim which is just where the river runs into the fjord and if you rent a car you will be fishing within 45 minutes from touch-down You can stay in very cosy cabins/huts at Midtkill Camping for very little money where you can also buy the fishing permits. The camping site is primarely for fishermen and you will enjoy good company of fellow fishermen. As it never gets dark during the summer I have often come back to "camp" at 2 or 3 am and shared a couple of beers and good stories with fellow fishermen before going to bed.

I have fished the river for sevaral years and my personal best is a 15 lbs salmon and a friend of mine caught a 26 lbs salmon on his first trip

When conditions are good you will find a lot of people fishing the river but you will always find a good beat to fish as there beats are plenty. You will need to rent a car as there is quite a lot of milage to cover between the bottom and the top of the river. If you preferre there are also plenty of private beats to book.

For further info see: http://www.sjff.no/

Smuthullet at Stjoerdal River

Quite nice to cross the river in your "own" little boat.

Mosquitoes at dusk (not that it gets dark at all in Norway during summer)

Finally after 7 days of fishing Caught on a Red Tag

The pool where the fish was caught at 4 am

I fished the Stjoerdal about 7 years ago on the NFC stretch below the Fora. We had been fishing for about 18 hour and instead of heading back to the hut for a rest I decided to have a lie down on a very comfortable rock. I cast out a 20 yard line and just let it swing to and fro in the current. While fast asleep I felt the rod going played out a grilse. I then went back to sleep again within half an hour I was into another fish. Great river I hope I will manage to fish it again.

Sounds like a great way to fish. Makes you wonder why we borther spey casting, snake rolls etc when we might as well do it lying down. Will try that technique next time I go fishing

Looks low, but is very beautiful. Keep posting pix - I never tire of them

Hello,

Smuthullet is a nice beat, and the owner, Ola, is a nice guy, last year he tell me the same,i catch no salmon during my week and tell me that i can fish smuthullet for free.
    This year i have fish only 4 days in july,but without signifiant result, next year i will try Tana river, 1700 km north from Stjordal

I fished the NFC beat a few years ago with a mate. No luck for the week but saw some BIG fish. What is it about the weather in Norway? I don't know why people go to the Mediterranean for sun! Just book a weeks salmon fishing in Norway and pack the factor 50! We drove up the river one day and saw some lovely fly water. I am told that the big fish go up the Forra and above its confluence it is more of a grilse river. If I can ever persuade Mrs SP8 it's a spot I had marked down for a camping trip with the van so the above info is handy.

SP8

On 14th June I posted a threat about another Norwegian River under "Favourite Beat & River" with the heading "Bondels River - A hidden gem in Norway".
    If you want to talk you wife into going to Norway that might be just the right river. The scenary is spectacular and from the camp site you can walk to the fjord and a hotel with dining and bar etc within 5 minutes. And you can walk to the river within 2 minutes. I have actually brought my wife and family there a couple of times as it gives you the possibility to combine salmon fishing with family holiday...
    Last edited by danishflyfisher; 19-08-2008 at 06:06 PM.