Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Monkey business on the River Moy

Had a good couple of days over the weekend on the River Moy with Tailfire. Fished the afternoon session on the famous Ridge Pool in Ballina. Conditions were difficult with a strong upstream breeze (gale?) and sunshine - however the water was at a good height for the fly and we were optimistic. On the first run down I lost a fish and then landed a very well mended kelt of all things - very unusual at this time of the year on the Moy and there was some debate that it may have been an escapee. Then Tailfire was the next to see some action with his first of the season a nice liced grilse of 5lbs.

it fell to a size 12 Green Butt Cascade (apparently its a good fly )

Went quiet until about 7.00 when the sun started to go down, I put on a Monkey that Sloggi had kindly supplied for 'field testing' purposes in Ireland. First run down and this little fellow promptly took a liking to it, it was a real vicious take and at first I thought it was a springer .

the grilse with aformentioned Monkey

off the mark at last, first of the season

Later on as the tide started to come in a few fish moved into the pool and I lost another better fish, again on the monkey. I have never tried this type of collie type pattern before but am now converted

Here's both fish, note the marks in front of the top finn, this is where scales samples were taken by the ghillie for the fisheries board. Interesting to note, wonder if its a similar study to the one Faughanpurple mentioned?

Yesterday we fished the morning session on the weir pool, its at the very top of the Ridge pool and a separate pool in its own right. However it is really a very small piece of water but can be very good as its the last pool before the weir itself. It was going to be another very bright day so we decided an early start was the order of the day

From the Weir pool looking down the Ridge Pool towards the Cathedral beat as the sun rises about 4.45am.

Water was again ideal for the pool but it is difficult to fish with no back cast and a lot of converging streams. Tailfire got a couple of good pulls then hooked a fished which unforunately parted company as he was getting it under control. I had no luck on the other side of the pool so we swapped places and within a few casts I got a solid pull on a Finn Gold (another good fly ). I could tell this was no grilse and it put up a good fight in the fast water. Eventually I got it close enough for Tailfire to net.

A nice Moy springer

After that the sun really became bright and we didn't get another pull, we saw some fish enter the pool but could not tempt them.... even the Monkey failed to produce the goods

still a very enjoyable two days and good to get off the mark
    Last edited by easky; 27-05-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Great stuff Andrew well done

good to see your both of the mark and you got your springer

have one or two of those monkeys as well just have to get out to try them wonder what the Mourne and Faughan grilse will make of them
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

I wasn't sure myself as its very different from the hairwings and shrimps we normally use but Irish fish obviously like them

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

out of interest what way did you fish the monkey

was thinking of a squarish cast and let the stream do the rest.

or where you handlining it?

I got the fish in the stream at the head of the pool so was just letting the current bring it round. As the water slowed further down the pool I hand lined it in which is how I hooked the second fish.
    Last edited by easky; 27-05-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Cheers

Should be fun experimenting with it this summer ive quite a few to try

If only it would rain in the NW

well done! I' m going in Ridge pool and Cathedral at the end of June...I can't wait to!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Il Fiorentino View Post
    well done! I' m going in Ridge pool and Cathedral at the end of June...I can't wait to!!!!
    should be good, would be nice to get your first Irish fish to go along with your Scottish one

drop me a PM nearer the time and I can give you some info on where to fish and flies etc

hi there were would i get my hands on a few of these monkey,s.I fancy given ago on some of the smaller river,s like the drowes and the finn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast