Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Keith Elliott & Andy Nicholson in Sweden

Hi all, i just had a lovely weeks fishing with Keith Elliot, Andy Nicholson & a local friend Ulf Olsson around the Archipelago outside of Stockholm, we fished for a mix of Pike & Sea Trout & caught both, but as the Pike were still spawning, that side of things was hard going.. Here are some pics from the trip, the photo's don't really do the islands justice as it is a really spectacular place....

By Keith Elliott, Independent newspaper
    Sunday, 4 May 2008

On the weirdness scale, few angling experiences come close to catching fish where they really shouldn't live.

I was watching a huge shoal of tiddlers by the ferry jetty at Dalaro, a small, attractive town 25 miles from Stockholm. I assumed they were baby herring. In the interests of science, I bought a bread roll at the general store next to the ferry terminal, tied on a tiny hook and tried to catch one.

Turned out they weren't sea fish after all, but baby bleak, roach and bream – all fish we associate with fresh water.

Though the water here is really the Baltic Sea, it's sea in name only. You have to travel perhaps 60 miles west before it turns briny. So sea fishing means catching freshwater fish. I'm still coming to terms with catching pike among the seaweed, or pulling up an anchor and finding ragworms among the mud.

This is a fisherman's paradise. That odd mix of brackish water and rich feeding creates outsize pike, sea trout and salmon. (My guide, Ulf, has caught salmon to 60lb.) Early May is sea trout and pike heaven.

I'm here at the invitation of John Steele, a tough Carlisle-born former Navy diver who has spent the past three years guarding VIPs and convoys in Iraq. He's happy to talk about it, but has no plans to go back. He's been shot at too many times, watched too many friends die.

Fishing seems pretty tame after that, even if it is for sea trout that average 5lb and can weigh more than 30lb. This area is stocked annually (500,000 this year alone). So it should be easy. Trouble is, sea trout are twitchier than the annualSt Vitus school reunion.

I've never stalked deer, but sea trout must be the aquatic equivalent. Most UK seatrouting takes place in riversand at night, in the mistaken belief that you can surprise them. Fat chance.

Here, chasing this will-'o-the-wisp means fishing from boats and casting into bays. That makes it 10 times harder to sneak up on them. My companion, Andy Nicholson, said gloomily: "I reckon they hear us coming from so far away that they've already moved to the next island by the time we make our first cast." With 24,000 islands in easy distance, you move around a lot here.

Just when you're ready to say "That's it! I've had enough! To hell with sea trout!", your rod bends and a huge silver fish leaps into the air. But it's never easy.

John reckons a good day means catching six. Ulf, his best mate, has been fishing for sea trout for the past 25 years and still remembers a red-letter day of 15. The average is two or three. They may be whoppers, but you earn your fish.

For a lazy fisher like me, this is darned hard work. There must be an easier way. Andy and I have sat late into the night puzzling how to crack The Great Baltic Sea Trout Mystery (millions of fish, but where are the bodies?). It would baffle Miss Marple. We're trying to catch a fish that allegedly can't be caught in the sea. Except in this area of Sweden, it is.

Water temperature? Currents? Barometrics? Salinity? The right-coloured hat? We're no nearer the answer.

The two sea trout in the pictures were 2.3kg & 4 kg but on the last day Keith had a 5kg+ fish follow to the boat TWICE!!! frustrating but it's still out there

Cheers,

John.
    Last edited by REELax; 05-05-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Cracking Pictures

What a beautiful place
    Tomorrow is another day, so is the next

& only 2 hours from London.... come on down

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...ry-820768.html

John.
    Last edited by REELax; 04-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Nice pics !

Can't believe how much the landscape reminds me of our camp here in Northern Ontario .

BTW , the "head gear" in the 6th pic is priceless !!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lakesflyer View Post
    Nice pics !

BTW , the "head gear" in the 6th pic is priceless !!

Mike
    For a minute there i thought it was Roy Chubby Brown.