Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC trip

Default BC trip

This was my best fish for the week at approx. 20lb
    Last edited by Steelheadnut; 02-05-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: not all pics showing

This was the fly that was a killer all week, a pink spey my granddaughter wanted me to tie
    Last edited by Steelheadnut; 02-05-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: pics not coming up

cracker

What a real beauty-well worth enduring all that cold weather although it doesn't look too bad in the picture. Can't wait for the autumn to come around for my visit.
    Well done Cap

Myself and some Irish friends
    Last edited by Steelheadnut; 02-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Believe me it was CCCOOOOLLD

Awesome fish,

Which river system where you fishing?

That was the Kitimat river and that was my best steely to be brought to hand for the week in what were tough conditions with temperatures dropping to -5/-10 every night and only coming up to about 1/5 degrees in the day. Because of this the rivers were extremely low with some boats struggling to drift down some sections of the rivers. There were more fish lost this year by all of us, I put it down to the conditions .
    The fly in question is, as far as I know, not a known pattern, but the actual make up/tying of the fly is similar to the way Gerald Bartch BC. ties some of his patterns.
    The materials and colours were picked by my grand daughter .
    Do you think she has a fixation with pink?
    I'm extremely glad she has, every fish caught by the 12 of us at the lodge that week was on something pink. My favorite flies of purple, claret and black drew a blank.
    The heli-trip was to a small river about 100 miles north of Terrace, which only had one team of fishermen on it about a fortnight before, and as it happened the best day(weather wise) all week, actually took my coat off . I only fished one section myself, first cast, blank, second, fish third, moved fish, fourth, fish, and stopped. What a place that was, a pleasure and an honour to be allowed to enter that valley and fish that particular river.
    Cap

I may be asking a silly question & if I am, please forgive me, but why did you stop after 4 casts despite travelling over a 100 miles
    Tomorrow is another day, so is the next

Quote Originally Posted by Greenalert View Post
    I may be asking a silly question & if I am, please forgive me, but why did you stop after 4 casts despite travelling over a 100 miles
    It's not a silly question at all, if you knew me you would know that the fishing is not everything to me, being in that remote place with just a few friends meant more to me than chasing the numbers game.
    It gives me as much pleasure in watching others fish, and on that particular day we only had a limited time for the fishing, I think actual fishing time was 2-2 1/2hours.
    I was happy to stop after those 4 casts and just take in the beauty and peace of the valley and watch the others fish, the oldest of them being in his mid eighties, and the best caster of a fly in our party, or at any time really, that it has been my priviledge to watch.

There was more to this trip but hope I've given enough info to answer the question.
    Cap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast