Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thurso in March

Default Thurso in March

These are a few pics of the Upper Bridge Pool on bt13 of the Thurso. The pics also show the dam at loch more and also the fish pass- which at that height draws the springers into the sancity of the loch.

No fish for me that day. But the Upper Bridge can be an exciting place to be.

Last edited by macd; 30-04-2008 at 03:45 PM.

what a beautiful place..the snow on the ground etc just adds to it

looks a bit cold for me tho..remind me why i dont fish in March generally

brrrrr
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

cracking pics, never seen it like that - with snow and with water coming over the dam and fish pass
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Hi Macd,

I saw the Upper Bridge at a similar height in September - didn't actually fish it as I was allocated Beat 12. I was curious where the fish would prefer to lie and how it is fished as it is a very powerful rush down the middle with big eddies to either side of it.

Cheers

CD

there was considerable damage in the pools in late 06 flooding, so it has changed a bit.

The Upper bridge is good for the freshest fish in the beat. You can see them bouncing off the dam. But once they get fed up with that they drop back down below the bridge into the lower bridge and weedy pool. The lower bridge has a nice flow, but I like a breeze on it and the weedy pool further down needs a good breeze on it. On calm days the upper bridge is your best bet.

With regard to the back eddies, the trick is to go with the flow and fish from the bridge moving upstream. It takes a bit of a mental flip-flop to get it, but you can fish the cheeks of the fast water quite effectively.

The other way is to cast from the slipway into the white water- you need good control of the fly and have to keep in touch or it will get drowned and snagged up. It is chuck and chance, but has paid off many times.
    Last edited by macd; 30-04-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Default Lower Bridge

The handy thing with the bridge is that you can cover the whole pool. The downside is that fish hooked in the lower bridge make for the dam at breakneck speed. The bridge has removed its fair share of line coatings

In this pic cast no more than half way and work down into the arrowhead. A neat trick is to walk out on the arrowhead and cast to the run out which is just to the right of the islands-this isnt always possible and not advisable unless you are confident.

Nice pics

The upper bridge fishes well from both banks casting across and letting the current swing the fly under the arch, where a lot of fish lie. Another good way (for the brave or stupid) is to ifsh the upper bridge from the dam itself, allowing u to cover the whole pool, just gotta hope u don't connect with a real monster that pulls you in. Fish can be caught from anywhere in the lower bridge but the tail is particulary good. The run out on the right of the islands is a good place to pick up a fresh fish but as you say, it does require wading to fish it properly.

Exclamation Flood

Here is some great footage of the huge spate that hit the thurso in oct 06.

http://www.thursoriver.co.uk/videos/spate.wvx

Impressive

i couldnt help but notice the clarity of the water for such a huge height.

The water almost looked fishable..Clarity wise.. if any of the rivers over here where at that height they would be chocolate brown.

The Thurso Seemed peaty black which is the colour ours go after the flood water subsides.
    Last edited by FaughanPurple; 16-06-2008 at 09:47 PM.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit