Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: river lune

Default river lune

took these today, this is the first season for me on this river and it changes everytime i go

Great pics Barry. Is the first one upstream from the top of Treasonfield

Had a couple of fish over the years wading just below the leaning tree on the right of the pic. Further up near the island was a hot spot in the time of spring runs, but it gravelled up over the years.
    Last edited by mcminnow; 20-04-2008 at 11:27 PM.

yes it is mac, the upstream one was taken from same position as the one looking down stream the other which iam sure you know is from the road running up from kirkby
    regards barry

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonbaz View Post
    yes it is mac, the upstream one was taken from same position as the one looking down stream the other which iam sure you know is from the road running up from kirkby
    regards barry
    I recognised the photo from the road. I used to park my bicycle against the fence there in the 1950's and climb down the hillside to the river.

Looking forward to meeting up on 22nd June at the casting course.

Default Treason Field

Morning Barry(just)
    As Mac says up by the Island (or as far up as you can get) can be good
    especially in a Big water when the fish are running!!The fish tend to pause here 1 to make there mind which side of the island to run and 2 to face the rough water up to the Boat Pool on Rigmaden!! You have two sets of Willows either side on your top march it used to be quite deep under both and the seatrout used to hold there !! I havent been down to our bottom march this year so dont know if they have gravelled up! The strech below the island to your march is called Highwiden and i do believe that Mac used to get a few fish out of there in a big water when he was "rigmaden man". Your best bet in a big water(3ft+) is to spin with either one of Macs devons or a Flying C.Wang it up and across and let it come round like a Fly even if the water is a bit muddy dont worry theyll see it?? Hope this helps
    Regards BRYAN
    Tie another barrel on Hooper!!

Highwiden was prolific in the early years then it gravelled up a bit. Salmon also held up under the willow bushes on the left and we waded out just below the sloping tree on the right.
    I would start at the top of the beat by the willow bush and spin it down in a high water, just as Bryan says. It would a good spot to try if Parson's Dub was occupied. I suspect the fish will run up nearer to your bank before crossing over in Highwiden.

good morning gents, nice to hear from you bryan. the water you talk about apparently an 18iber was caught there last back end. this part of the beat does seem to be the deapest on what i can see thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonbaz View Post
    good morning gents, nice to hear from you bryan. the water you talk about apparently an 18iber was caught there last back end. this part of the beat does seem to be the deapest on what i can see thanks
    Morning Barry,
    It comes as no surprise to learn of the 18lb fish from last season and illustrates the point about fish been taken from "second choice" locations.

I recall there was also a deep stretch of water opposite the willow bushes in your photo. I waded down as far as I could on one occasion in my Rigmaden days and it dropped into a deep water, in fact, several feet deep.

I would suggest a recce of this stretch from your bank at a time of very low water, in the summer. I can see the stones on the bottom of the river in your first photo, so a walk about in the river in chest waders could be informative.

The photos are first rate and you have obviously mastered that art, unlike some of us.

i have no art mac, as for chest waders not just yet with my heart. i am going to buy i life vest first. on that day i had my thigh waders on bloody slipping all over on the rocks my mate said to get felt soled ones but will i not slip on the fields whilst walking the beat. yes i have just taken delivery of my new dbl hander 14ft its bludy huge. what do i do with it lol

on the fist phot gents you can make out a part on the left where there is a gravel bank just below the island. like i said every time i go it all looks different, this outdoor life is good for you i think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast