Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default River Don - Castle Forbes

I fished here for the first time yesterday along with Sloggi. Conditions were good with the water falling and clear. (unusually clear for the Don!)

The view from Bridge of Keig, upstream.

And downstream.

Not sure which beat this is on as I was waiting to meet Sloggi at the time.
    We went to the top of beat 5 and had a look at the hut - check out the air conditioning.......

This area seemed like the best bet, starting at (I think) Phemie.

The next stretch didn't have a name on the beat map but the bit below is called Lower Glenton so I could hazzard a guess that this would be Upper Glenton?

I was using a Park Shrimp on a 2" brass tube and managed this

Sloggi then phoned to say he had hooked a salmon briefly in Lower Glenton. We fished long and hard with a variety of flies and lines but didn't see a fish all day. The photos maybe don't show it, but the river is only 25-30 yards wide up here and is easily covered with a gentle cast. In low water a single-hander might do.
    Certainly a beat I would like to return to slightly later in the year and the price is reasonable at 43+vat throughout the season.

great pics Donnie, that trount looks in no bad condition for the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by donnieW View Post
    Iprice is reasonable at 43+vat throughout the season.
    seems a bit expensive to me
    its hardly a river which gets alot of demand for salmon fishing
    30 quid sounds more palatable
    nice report though, must give it a go soon

Quote Originally Posted by pellinore View Post
    seems a bit expensive to me
    its hardly a river which gets alot of demand for salmon fishing
    30 quid sounds more palatable
    nice report though, must give it a go soon
    i think 50/day seems to be the usual starting price these days

I think the Don is one of those rivers (maybe a bit like the Esks?) that is hugely under-rated. In the past I've only fished a couple of the ADAA stretches at Kemnay and Parkhill and I've nearly always had fish. The water is still cold and we didn't see fish but I would have no hesitation in paying 50 to try again in a couple of weeks' time. You also have the option of some fantastic trout fishing (not talking about the specimen I caught yesterday) if the salmon aren't on the go.

More great pics....thank you. Looks like my sort of river, not too big and not needing long casts, plus flat banks.

I fish the Don quite a bit and I've never felt let down in terms of value for money. The fly-fishing water on this beat is as good as anything around. I fished two days and landed one 6lb springer on Friday whilst having a fish on briefly yesterday. In conversation yesterday, Donnie and I agreed that almost every cast was laden with anticipation - the water was superb.

Here are some pix, firstly from Friday (beat 3) and then from yesterday (beat 5)

Beat 5

Last edited by Sloggi; 12-04-2009 at 06:57 PM.

looks cracking water at that height

The Don is a lovely river.

I started my salmon fishing there as a young teenager in the mid 90's, fishing at the Place of Tillefoure - anyone fish there?

Bonnie watter.
    What's the wading like ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast